having problems with Java

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cinephile

having problems with Java

Post by cinephile »

I've been messing around with Java, hoping to instal a more recent UMS version then my currently installed 5.3.2 (the last version that supports Java 6). I tried to convince my mac that I have a later OS version then my current 10.6.4 by changing the OS number in the SystemVersion.plist file. Then I was able to instal Java 7, but still unable to load a more recent UMS version. I also couldn't go back to Java 6, telling me I already have a newer version of Java. So I completely deleted Java from my system.

Now any version of UMS won't start at all. It just bounces in my dock for a few seconds and then vanishes. Even Safari quits just after it opens.

I suspect this is because I don't have Java properly installed. I can't find the right Java version for my Mac OS (10.6.4) anymore. All the versions require 10.6.8 or higher.

Can anyone offer me help? I want to keep reformatting as my last resort.
snakebyte

Re: having problems with Java

Post by snakebyte »

Why not updating your OS to 10.6.8 ?
As I recall these updates are free as it remains in the Snow Leopard range.
You should be able to find these on Apple's download page.

Greetsssssssssss,

Snakebyte
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

Thanks, I'll try that.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I updates my OS all the way to 10.6.8 but UMS still won't start. I tried to instal Java 10.6 but it wouldn't work because the system thinks a newer version of Java is already installed. When I check Java in the Terminal is tells:

Last login: Mon Jan 9 01:36:42 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro-van-Bert-Coppens:~ bertcoppens$ java
No Java runtime present, requesting install.
MacBook-Pro-van-Bert-Coppens:~ bertcoppens$

I tried to delete everything from Java before so it's strange it thinks it still has a recent version installed.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You should try to reinstall Java 7 now that you have a supported OS version.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I thought Java 7 only worked from OS 10.7 and up?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I interpreted it as Java 7 was supported from 10.6.8.

You should look at this. By the way, this is just BS and ill-will from Apple, who want people to pay for an upgrade.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I tried to instal Java 7 and 8 respectivly but during the installation process the software kept telling be several files already exist. I tried to replace them but some files coeldn't be replaces, telling me "files can't be replaced by folder". Although the installation seamed finished, the terminal kept telling me "No Java Runtime found" and requested me to download a Java JDK version, which I did but the same story happens. Java also doesn't show up in my System Preference. Seams almost as if some corrupt file or whatever prevents me from installing any version of Java. :?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Dit you do it as described in the link? If so, you might have to be radical and try things like writing down the file(s) you can't overwrite and manually remove it before the installation starts. If you can't delete it, find out why.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I deleted the file that couldn't be replaced. Now Java 7 installed without error (through Pacifist like the link described) but the Terminal and System Preference still don't recognize Java.

UMS 6.5.3 also won't start. If I try to drag it to the embedded application folder in the UMS dmg package, a prohibitory sign prevents me from doing so. I don't know what that means. However I can drag it directly to the application folder on my computer but UMS wouldn't start without any error message. It also isn't hidden in my Mac's top menu bar.