replacing UMS FFMpeg version [SOLVED]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Miklos

replacing UMS FFMpeg version [SOLVED]

Post by Miklos »

I posted my original querie on the General Support page but from the answers I have received I think I need now to continue on the Mac OS X Support.

I am attempting to replace an unsupported FFMpeg version on my Mac.

The advice I was given is:

Replace FFMpeg file in /Applications/Universal Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/osx/ffmpeg with the new one.

The DMG file is an ISO file so you shouldn't replace the FFMpeg executable with that one. But, if you open the DMG file you will find a FFMpeg executable inside. Copy that version over the one used by UMS "/Applications/Universal Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/osx/ffmpeg". As to browsing to that folder, I'm not very familiar with "Finder" or whatever you use for this, but you should be able to navigate there if you navigate from "Root"?

I now have the latest FFMeg file (the DMG file has an FFMpeg executable) but I don't know how to proceed from there and can't follow the above guidelines since my Applications Folder only has the UMS logo that opens up the programme and nothing to take me to Contents/Resources/etc. as explained above.

I am using 10.6.8 with UMS 5.2.3.

Any ideas how to achieve the above?

Cheers
miklos
Nadahar

Re: replacing UMS FFMpeg version

Post by Nadahar »

As I explained in the other thread, if you open Terminal you can do all those things without being hampered by Apple's attempt to "protect you" from anything slightly technical. The files and folders are there, but the OS decides that you as a user isn't smart enough to see it. However, if you must use Finder, when I test it I can rightclick on an application and select "Show Package Content" which actually show the content in Finder.
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks for that, Nadahar - your 'right-click' proved the answer :D

I was able in the end to chase the FFMpeg via:

UMS/Show Package Content/Content/Resources/Java/osx/ffmpeg

However, when I tried to move the exe file from the ffmpeg220sx106.dmg I got the message that a newer version was already inplace (see attached).
UMS FFMpeg.png
UMS FFMpeg.png (105.13 KiB) Viewed 13161 times
So I presumed that the latest ffmpeg would be the better and did not exchange them.

I hope that this was correct - although perhaps for an older Mac running 10.6.8 I should have opted for the older version which I was attempting to swap???

Cheers
miklos
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Disregard what your OS deeps as "newer". That is based on file date, and is probably completely irrelevant. The file date of the FFmpeg that came with UMS is probably from the last time you installed UMS, while the file date on the downloaded version might be from when they generated the DMG or from when the executable was compiled. In any case, it has nothing to do with "newer" in any relevant sense. Replace the file with the version you want to use.
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

We may be making some headway at last, Nadahar ;)

I did as suggested, disregarded the OS message, and replaced the FFmeg with the 'older' newer one.

Everything still works as before - BUT, if I deselect/select (I'm unsure what I am doing when I select it) TRANSCODE when the AIFF files are displayed on the Marantz machine, I am given 3 versions of each AIFF file and even though FILE FORMAT ERROR comes up in the viewing window on the Marantz, each of them will play if I select them.

So (at last) it looks as if AIFF are playable.

Thanks to yourself (and all the others from the earlier post) who put in time and effort to get this sorted.

I'm happy :D

Cheers
miklos
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Happy that you finally succeed ;)

Here an unofficial recent version (3.1.2) of FFMpeg compiled for your old OS:
http://www.macfn.com/download/app/file/400/66b7f9/

Don't forget to keep a backup of the second version from the last time (official 2.8.1 version) !

BTW, you should try this renderer (after having deleted the .txt extension) and return feedback:
Marantz-NA6005.conf.txt
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
or that one:
Marantz-NA6005.conf.txt
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
P.S. As a side note, you could edit your issue title and add "[SOLVED]". Thanks.
Miklos

Re: replacing UMS FFMpeg version [SOLVED]

Post by Miklos »

Thanks, once again Sami32, for all your help ;)

I have tried lots of permutations with all of the FFMpeg & Renderers that you supplied.

Swapping the FFMpeg for the 3.1.2 did not work - I lost the ability to access the AIFF files.

Both of the renderers did nothing either - the first seemed to lose the ability to pull in any audio files (!).

So, I am back with the original renderer (I first obtained it via UMS when I requested a renderer for the Marantz NA6005 a couple of years back) + the 2.8.1 FFMpeg. This combination seems to cover all the bases and allows access to AIFF via TRANSCODE.

Perhaps other followers might have better luck - but for the present it seems that 'older' is the way forward (until I upgrade my Mac and OS system).

Cheers
miklos
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I haven't followed the case from the start, but we just implemented AIFF support a couple of days ago and this version hasn't been released yet. I'm kind of confused that UMS will display the AIFF files at all without this updated version. Whatever your problems currently are, given that the FFmpeg version can transcode the files the new version should make them play without using the transcode folder as long as the renderer configuration is correct.

Have you compiled your own version of the lastest code, or how is it that you're able to play them at all?
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks for your input, Nadahar

Believe me when I say that I have not 'compiled my own version of the latest code' - I wouldn't know how to begin :shock:

The versions that I am using are those provided via the forum links.

The Marantz renderer I am using is one I got around 18months/2 years back via the UMS Forum when I had reported that my Marantz wasn't available in the then current listing of renderers. I forgot who supplied it - but the config was made available and worked (everything except AIFF came through loud and clear). I have not updated my UMS since then so would not have introduced any other Marantz renderer along the way. I tested out those provided by Sami32 - but without success (don't know if these are the newer versions you mention?).

The FFMpeg is 2.8.1 (as reported below I tried the latest Snow Leopard release - 3.1.2 - but it just did not improve over my current arrangement - NO recognition of AIFF files at all even with Transcode!).

In the present set-up, I currently have direct access for FLAC & Mp3 audio files but have to access AIFF via the Transcode folder.

Cheers
miklos
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@Miklos Thank you for your feedback.

Did you mean that the second renderer played all except AIFF file ?

It'll be nice to have a new log while using the FFmpeg 3.1.2 version, for letting us see if it worked as expected...i suspected the unofficial version to be not supported by your OS as announced; it's why i asked you to backup ;)

Please, could you test these renderers and give us feedback ?

1)
Marantz-NA6005.conf.txt
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
2)
Marantz-NA6005.conf.txt
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
3)
Marantz-NA6005.conf.txt
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 550 times