Network Settings Buggy in El Capitan w/sharing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
camosy

Network Settings Buggy in El Capitan w/sharing

Post by camosy »

Hey, I just spent the last 2 hrs. Trying to get ums working (again) on El Capitan. I had it working yesterday. But today, no joy. (By working I mean reading renderers)

The problem, internet sharing and filesharing, will break UMS, if you turn them on.
'Network setting - force networking on interface' and 'force ip of server' , do not work when internet sharing is on. UMS defaults to the bridge100 used regardless of your choices in UMS. (Trust me, I tried every combo, with a restart)

Anyway turning off internet sharing within system settings fixes everything. And the defaults of blank and blank work again in network setting (UMS). I stress though manually setting the correct server ip and correct interface did not work!

So yep its a bug imho. Just thought I'd jot this down. In case anyone else is going mad.
TLDR: Turn off internet sharing, if you want to get UMS running again.

btw I love UMS. Used it for ages. But this nearly had me. :)
Nadahar

Re: Network Settings Buggy in El Capitan w/sharing

Post by Nadahar »

The network configuration is a bit "incomplete" - I'm sort of working on an improvement here. But, UPnP/DLNA has a lot of restrictions when it comes to network too. It's based on multicast, so any router or "routing function" will break it. My guess is that your "sharing" actually implements a router. If that's the case, UPnP/DLNA won't work unless the router supports multicast forwarding and you configure your network for multicast forwarding. This is a complicated task, and only advanced routers support multicast forwarding at all. If you're running some small "quick and easy" "internet sharing" I can't imagine that the router it creates have any idea about multicast.
camosy

Re: Network Settings Buggy in El Capitan w/sharing

Post by camosy »

Thanks for the reply. And the explainer of the network settings within UMS. That makes sense re: sharing as a router.