Issues with 4.0.0a1

Developers forum for Univeral Media Server-related development (only for programmers)
Madoka

Re: Issues with 4.0.0a1

Post by Madoka »

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe that info can be in the popup tips when you hover over the option.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes I added a tooltip text with this to the 4.0.0 branch.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I fixed a bunch of compatibility issues lately but I'm not sure if they're yours. I tried to reproduce the huge subtitles issue but all of mine were similar between MEncoder and FFmpeg whether they were internal or external subs, so if you can reproduce it using the following version can you please provide logs again and a link to the file/s so I can reproduce the problem?
http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-6703c42.exe
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SJ,

Thanks for the test release. The giant subtitles bug had been fixed in 4.0.0-b1. So far, none of the other subtitle issues I've mentioned have been fixed.

1. FFmpeg will still ignore subtitles if "Remux if possible" is checked.
2. FFmpeg will still override the color of the Default style in external .ass subs (as specified by the file) with the color set in the "Subtitle Color" setting in the Subtitles Tab. This is a minor issue as that's a color I like.
3. You still have no control over the size/position of the .srt subtitles with FFmpeg.

Minor housekeeping. Many of the subtitle settings that have been moved to the Subtitles Tab are still in the Mencoder Page section of the UMS.conf file. No big deal. Just saying. :D

I can post new debug logs, if you like, but things are the same as on the OP.

Thanks!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Madoka wrote:SJ,

Thanks for the test release. The giant subtitles bug had been fixed in 4.0.0-b1. So far, none of the other subtitle issues I've mentioned have been fixed.

1. FFmpeg will still ignore subtitles if "Remux if possible" is checked.
2. FFmpeg will still override the color of the Default style in external .ass subs (as specified by the file) with the color set in the "Subtitle Color" setting in the Subtitles Tab. This is a minor issue as that's a color I like.
3. You still have no control over the size/position of the .srt subtitles with FFmpeg.

Minor housekeeping. Many of the subtitle settings that have been moved to the Subtitles Tab are still in the Mencoder Page section of the UMS.conf file. No big deal. Just saying. :D

I can post new debug logs, if you like, but things are the same as on the OP.

Thanks!
Glad to hear the giant subtitles thing was fixed. I've tried to reproduce the first thing but can't - I have the muxing setting checked and subtitles work fine. I've tested on PS3 and my Panasonic TV, with MP4 and MKV files in all combinations (external, internal and both, with different languages) but they're all working. So I need the files (video and subs) you're using.
It may have been fixed recently though since valib did a change just after 4.0.0 was released, so here's another test version. I can look at the second and third points after we fix this one too.
http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-ab66e76.exe
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Actually I think I fixed it, please test http://www.universalmediaserver.com/upl ... 1a185c.exe
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SJ,

Do you need me to test the earlier one? Will test the newest one today and get back to you.

Thanks!

Edit:
FFmpeg will load both .srt and .ass subtitles for me now even with "Remux" checked. Also, the font changed a little from before and looks more like the MEncoder font and is slightly smaller than before, which is good as I'm now used to the MEncoder font.

So far, FFmpeg will default to tsMuxeR appropriately when remux is possible.

As someone else mentioned, FFmepg still falls behind MEncoder when it comes to anime. Many times the font size and styling are wrong so the subtitles are usually plain and of the wrong size, but MEncoder seems to display them fine. I don't have any recent shows, but ones I have that give FFmepg difficulties are:

[Hatsuyuki]_Baka_to_Test_to_Shoukanjuu_Ni!_-_01_[1280x720][A75B2E79]
[Commie]_Toaru_Kagaku_no_Railgun_S_-_01_[0405339A]
[Anime-Koi]_Genshiken_Nidaime_-_02_[h264-720p][962ED2E2]

Thanks!!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Great, thanks for confirming that. I'll test those files now
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

OK it seems like the problems with those files is that they use custom fonts which are embedded in the files as attachments, and I don't know if FFmpeg has the ability to load font attachments. Maybe we can make it so FFmpeg defers to MEncoder if we detect attached fonts.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Thanks for looking into this. That would be cool as so far I've been going into the Transcode folder and picking MEncoder when I watch anime. FFmpeg has been doing well with external subs for me. Looking forward to when the other two issues are fixed. Then FFmpeg will have the same functionality as MEncoder. I like how FFmpeg sends a 5.1 audio stream for most of my video files.

Thanks for all your efforts on this, SJ.

Edit: This may be fixed already as I see commits relating to subtitles (looking forward to trying 4.0.1), but FFmpeg will ignore the shadow codes for the Default subtitles. I get no shadows at all with FFmpeg when MEncoder will give me a proper shadow.