[Suggestion] Add mpv as an encoder/player

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
Vallimar

[Suggestion] Add mpv as an encoder/player

Post by Vallimar »

Not sure if you are aware of this project, http://mpv.io/, but they are a fairly new project that
does a bit of melding of the MPlayer and mplayer2 projects with some added tweaks of their own.
They have stripped out a lot of old and unused bits and unlike mplayer2, have encoding features.
One bonus to this is that its a single binary that is smaller than both mplayer and mencoder. You
might be more successful in compiling a static binary as well, which I know has been an issue for
MPlayer.

Probably one of the nicer things for UMS, is that they ripped out most or all of the internal (de-)muxers
and just pass most things through ffmpeg, which UMS also does for the mencoder engine.

Probably the worst thing for UMS is they changed a lot of the syntax, although they do provide a chart
showing some of the changes so it would probably be somewhat easy to incorporate.

Food for thought if nothing else. I'm not a programmer or I'd take a stab at it myself.
DeFlanko

Re: [Suggestion] Add mpv as an encoder/player

Post by DeFlanko »

Nice im sure Subjunk will see this soon enough and the "Orange Gang" will too =)

Great post thanks!
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

There was discussion about it in past already so I suppose SubJunk knows this project well 8-)
Anyway it is unusable at this stage:
What does not work yet:
  • Direct stream copy
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the post :) We could implement it but like ExSport said its quality would be limited because it can't stream copy. We already have engines like that - VLC and the AviSynth engines - but that's why we prefer MEncoder and FFmpeg over those ones.
blami

Post by blami »

Does that make sense? (even if it supported direct stream copy) I ask because mpv-player mostly relies on ffmpeg for almost everything, so using ffmpeg directly would make better sense to me. Also, may I ask why mencoder is needed or what ffmpeg can't do and mencoder can?

I was discussing the matter on #mpv-player (does UMS has its own IRC channel?) and they told me that only benefit when using mpv as encoder/player would be better reading of bluray/dvd file archives, but almost everything else important can be done by interfacing ffmpeg directly.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

MEncoder has much better support for subtitles than FFmpeg; it supports all popular subtitle formats when they are embedded and it supports embedded fonts.