Speed up FFMpeg Font Cache checking.

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
spkbr

Speed up FFMpeg Font Cache checking.

Post by spkbr »

Thank you for the new version!

Is there any way to speed up FFMpeg font cache checking? It takes a minute to finish every time I load UMS, unlike Mencoder, which is almost instantaneous. And I think I don't use FFMpeg at all.

Thanks a lot in advance.
DeFlanko

Re: Speed up FFMpeg Font Cache checking.

Post by DeFlanko »

I think its a Lovely "Feature" of MPlayer - Font Cache
fontconfig

If you enable fontconfig, the first run of mplayer can take a while, even 2-3 minutes, because the font cache needs to be created. In the window you can follow fonts that are being parsed. Other runs you will have no delay until you make changes to the font directory.
Vallimar

Post by Vallimar »

FFmpeg can be compiled with fontconfig support also but I don't believe the shipped binaries have been compiled with it. I'm unsure if that would help with this issue, however, as I have never had this problem with FFmpeg.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Can't test it right now but I am sure that for mplayer, fontconfig generation was done only once or when new fonts were installed.
I can't say if ffmpeg does the same (once it is created, no other tries) or tries to recreate it every UMS start but it should do it only once.
Are you sure that every restart it is recreated?
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

yeah i notice it.. i just never really cared about it.. i thought it was by design.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

ExSport wrote:tries to recreate it every UMS start but it should do it only once.
That-s the current behavior, (sloooooowly) recreating cache at every start of UMS, not much of a cache as expected :-)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Ok, so it seems to be a bug. In major UMS updates cache is recreated also in case it exists due to possibility of incompatible,broken or missing cache.
Maybe because of that it is recreated continually also in case job already passed.
Subjunk should answer it as a owner of ffmpeg cache code :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It's only created once for me, just like MPlayer. Which operating system are you on?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

SubJunk wrote:It's only created once for me, just like MPlayer. Which operating system are you on?
W7 x32 Professional, latest Java7 update
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Same as me, but mine gets created only once. Weird. Maybe the cache creation is failing for you