External cache database

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
plasma

External cache database

Post by plasma »

Hi! first: thanks for developing PMS/UMS!!

Preamble:
I've ~5TB of multimedia files and some folder has ~800-900 files, so this cause timeout when browsing these folder in PS3. With cache enabled, the problem does not exist, but it take many hours to index everything the first time (about 1 whole night!).
Every time I upgrade UMS I've to reindex everything from scratch (tried once to copy old database files on new installation, but not worked)
How often is cache database format/scheme changed?

Feature suggestion:
Would be great to be able to externalize the cache database outside the UMS installation (like the UMS.conf file)! Another great feature could be to be able to use an external mysql/postgresql db for that work!

Thanks! :-)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: External cache database

Post by SubJunk »

Hi plasma, welcome to the forum :)
Usually the database won't be upgraded for minor releases (like 1.5.1 to 1.5.2) but sometimes it is for major releases (1.5.2 to 1.6.0). This is because we add new features to the program which need more information to be stored in the database.
Why would externalising the database make a difference?
plasma

Post by plasma »

SubJunk wrote:Hi plasma, welcome to the forum :)
Hi SubJunk! Thanks for your reply! :-)
SubJunk wrote:Usually the database won't be upgraded for minor releases (like 1.5.1 to 1.5.2) but sometimes it is for major releases (1.5.2 to 1.6.0). This is because we add new features to the program which need more information to be stored in the database.
Why would externalising the database make a difference?
Well, basically to avoid to rebuild it on every major upgrade! The "external database" feature, should be accompanied with a database upgrade check/procedure that upgrade the database (adding new fields/attributes) when the new installed version starts.

But if I understand your point, you suggest me to simply copy the old database files to the new upgraded installation and hope they are still compatible, if not => rebuild everything. Ok :-)

Well, I can live with that :D

Thank'you anyway for your superb job on PMS/UMS! :-)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Just to clarify, UMS already includes a check to see if we need to upgrade the database; it will not do it unless it is needed. So there is no need to copy the old files. Cheers! :)