OS X: Add a Renderers folder to /Application Support/UMS/

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
endymion

OS X: Add a Renderers folder to /Application Support/UMS/

Post by endymion »

Not sure if a non-volatile location exists for any platform, but at least on OS X I can only seem to find information about the renderers folder within the Application bundle. If there is a location outside the Application that works, let me know.

Since I run a custom renderer conf file, every time I update the Application it of course replaces everything and I need to re-add by renderer conf inside the application bundle. This is kind of annoying.

If UMS would just support a renderers folder at:

~/Library/Application Support/UMS/

...and import any custom conf files found there as well, it would make things much easier so configuration info isn't lost when the app is updated. The Application Support folder is really the appropriate place for this kind of content anyway and not in the Application Bundle which is never the correct place for a user's custom settings, extensions, etc.
infidel
Developer

Re: OS X: Add a Renderers folder to /Application Support/UMS/

Post by infidel »

endymion wrote:If UMS would just support a renderers folder at:

~/Library/Application Support/UMS/

...and import any custom conf files found there as well, it would make things much easier so configuration info isn't lost when the app is updated.
The good news: As it happens, UMS already does support custom device configurations (configurations tied to specific device uuids as opposed to a renderer in general), see 'A way to change settings depending on Renderer?'. You can create a custom device conf containing overrides, with the added advantage that settings which aren't overriden are merged from the latest generic version of the parent conf.

The bad news: There's a silly bug in current UMS 5.1.4 which causes it to fail (fixed in code). The workaround is pretty easy. After generating the device conf change uppercase 'Device' to lowercase 'device' in this line at the top of the conf

Code: Select all

device = uuid:7744ff6a-541f-48a9-0878-05fdebf240d3
Note that it's still experimental for lack of widespread testing :).
endymion

Post by endymion »

Unfortunately it looks like that custom device configuration wants to save to the same Renderers folder within the Application Bundle, so it would have the same problem when the Application is updated. Can't seem to browse to any other folders within the file dialog.

If the custom device was allowed to be saved within the Application Support folder or a user's custom location, then maybe we'd have something, otherwise it's not any different than what I'm doing already.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

endymion wrote:Unfortunately it looks like that custom device configuration wants to save to the same Renderers folder within the Application Bundle
It should create a 'renderers' folder inside your profile directory (where UMS.conf is located) and save it there. Did you go through with the procedure and check your profile folder?
endymion

Post by endymion »

OK, so I had it limited to just show my custom conf file. I removed it and enabled the original and I was able to create a device conf in the applications folder. However, when I quit and re-open UMS, it doesn't select the custom device profile just created and reverts back to the original. The custom one is not displayed.

Also, not sure if this contributes to anything, buy my Blu-ray Player shows up twice. Once with Services "IRCC" and once with Services "RenderingControl, ConnectionManager, AVTransport, Party".

Should it just show once with all services together?
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

endymion wrote:when I quit and re-open UMS, it doesn't select the custom device profile just created and reverts back to the original.
This is the bug mentioned above, did you change D --> d?
endymion wrote:my Blu-ray Player shows up twice. Once with Services "IRCC" and once with Services "RenderingControl, ConnectionManager, AVTransport, Party".
Will look into it, sometimes we get duplicates because it's difficult to determine if there are multiple devices at the same address (e.g. software renderers in Android, etc).
endymion

Post by endymion »

infidel wrote:
endymion wrote:when I quit and re-open UMS, it doesn't select the custom device profile just created and reverts back to the original.
This is the bug mentioned above, did you change D --> d?
Oops, that was it.

One other thing. I can't seem to change the display name of the render as it appears under it's icon on the Status page. I tried changing RendererName and any other instance of "Blu-ray Disc Player" I can find in the conf without success.

Thanks for all the help.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

endymion wrote:I can't seem to change the display name of the render as it appears under it's icon on the Status page. I tried changing RendererName
Sorry, UMS will prefer the device's own 'friendlyName' over the conf name :). Some renderers, e.g. Samsung, will allow you to rename them, but not Sony afaik (I have an ancient 'Blu-ray Disc Player' too).
endymion

Post by endymion »

Mainly it just would be nice to have some indication at a glance that it's using a device specific conf file without needing to open up the device window. Maybe there could be a UMS only name so everything else works behind the scenes with the friendly name but UMS just displays what you personally name it, like a nickname.

This way it's easier to tell if something goes wrong and it's not using the correct conf anymore. It also would help me tell the difference between the 2 devices that I see due to the IRCC Service being separated.

Anyway, that's all just personal preference at this point.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

endymion wrote:This way it's easier to tell if something goes wrong and it's not using the correct conf anymore.
For now your best bet would be to customize the icon, like in the example. Maybe we could add a new 'friendlyName' conf setting too, but no promises :).