Web Interface to replace the GUI

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
josch.hh

Web Interface to replace the GUI

Post by josch.hh »

Hi guys,

UMS is a nice project and working good so far.

But as you call it a "server" application you should think of replacing the config Java gui with a web Interface.
As you already have the basics with the "Client" Interface on port 9001, why not add the config stuff there too?
To be honest i guess the most servers nowadays run headless so it would make sense.
I also already tested the web Interface plugin that one already created but it is to buggy and i guess this part of UMS should be a core feature.

What do you think?
Wolfgan

Re: Web Interface to replace the GUI

Post by Wolfgan »

josch.hh wrote:Hi guys,

UMS is a nice project and working good so far.

But as you call it a "server" application you should think of replacing the config Java gui with a web Interface.
As you already have the basics with the "Client" Interface on port 9001, why not add the config stuff there too?
To be honest i guess the most servers nowadays run headless so it would make sense.
I also already tested the web Interface plugin that one already created but it is to buggy and i guess this part of UMS should be a core feature.

What do you think?
It may probably be a ton of work, but managing UMS remotely may have its worth for headless systems. Maybe a best approach is to enable config APIs (like uTorrent's WebUI http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=14565) and then the community take care of the UI aspects? (like Mini UI http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/40221-% ... nt-miniui/ or side implementations like https://github.com/psychowood/ng-torrent-ui)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
taconaut

Post by taconaut »

@Wofgang I had made a POC to expose the configuration through web services which turned out to be pretty easy (without any security constraints), I've never went past that stage though. It would definitly be a nice feature to have this available :)
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

taconaut wrote:@Wofgang I had made a POC to expose the configuration through web services which turned out to be pretty easy (without any security constraints), I've never went past that stage though. It would definitly be a nice feature to have this available :)
Nice Taconaut! Is there any way to install the plugin from the current UMS and play a little bit with it? Any sample client code? (html / js / css)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
taconaut

Post by taconaut »

@Wofgang as this was about 4 years ago I doubt it will compile right away ;) If you are interested, I can package an updated plugin exposing the configuration but without a client; to play with it you could use any SOAP client like e.g. SOAPUI.
There's also a webservice endpoint webservice_client (which has been auto generated using java tools) which is part of the project I've linked to.
josch.hh

Post by josch.hh »

Any news on this topic?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Is a complete web based GUI even a goal?