Android version?

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
Rapid

Android version?

Post by Rapid »

Hi all!
Is there any possibility of an android version of UMS?

Here's my situation:
- I have a NAS (Synology DS214se) where all my movies are stored
- I have a Sony Bravia TV, which does not support external subtitles through DLNA

I want to run UMS on my phone (Honor 7) to stream videos with external subtitles to my TV. Currently I'm running UMS on my PC (the source of the media is my NAS), but that machine eats around 300W. I don't want to use that much energy just to make the external subtitles enabled to stream to my TV. My phone is capable to transcode the video with subtitles (the NAS isn't powerful enough to do that) and eats less power than my PC.

Is there a possibility to do this in the future or is there a way to run the current Linux version of UMS on Android?

Thanks for the answers.
Wolfgan

Re: Android version?

Post by Wolfgan »

I don't know if it supports subtitles, but did you try Bubble UPnP? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... upnp&hl=en
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Rapid

Post by Rapid »

Wolfgan wrote:I don't know if it supports subtitles, but did you try Bubble UPnP? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... upnp&hl=en
Thank you for your suggestion, I tried it, but it's not possible to add custom media source (the shared folders of the NAS) to BubbleUPnP.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Rapid wrote:
Wolfgan wrote:I don't know if it supports subtitles, but did you try Bubble UPnP? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... upnp&hl=en
Thank you for your suggestion, I tried it, but it's not possible to add custom media source (the shared folders of the NAS) to BubbleUPnP.
Doesn't your NAS support ReadyMedia/miniDLNA?
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Rapid

Post by Rapid »

Wolfgan wrote:
Rapid wrote:
I installed the Serviio to my NAS, which is capable to hardcode the subtitles (like UMS on my PC), but the CPU in the NAS is not powerful enough (800MHz) to do this in a normal time (a 40 minutes, 720p movie's transcoding takes more than 10 hours). And I don't want to buy a new TV either which can handle external subtitles through DLNA (for example Samsung, Philips or LG). That's why I thought that my phone is more than powerful enough to transcode the movies and stream it to my TV.

UMS is basically Java code, and Android can run Java, so I think it could be possible with minimal-ish effort to port UMS to Android.

Also, I experimented with BubbleUPnP a little more, and it's not transfers any subtitles to the TV. And no subtitle settings to select hardcoding.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Rapid wrote:
Wolfgan wrote:
Rapid wrote:
I installed the Serviio to my NAS, which is capable to hardcode the subtitles (like UMS on my PC), but the CPU in the NAS is not powerful enough (800MHz) to do this in a normal time (a 40 minutes, 720p movie's transcoding takes more than 10 hours). And I don't want to buy a new TV either which can handle external subtitles through DLNA (for example Samsung, Philips or LG). That's why I thought that my phone is more than powerful enough to transcode the movies and stream it to my TV.

UMS is basically Java code, and Android can run Java, so I think it could be possible with minimal-ish effort to port UMS to Android.

Also, I experimented with BubbleUPnP a little more, and it's not transfers any subtitles to the TV. And no subtitle settings to select hardcoding.
To be honest, i don't think any mobile CPU/GPU is powerful enough for transcoding (most of the video work on those devices are implemented in GPU or special media sections of the SoC), so low level access is required for performance oriented apps like transcoding. UMS relies basically on mencoder an ffmpeg for the transcoding work, and I don't think those are available for any mobile platform (VLC ported its player to the mobile world just recently as an example).
Rapid

Post by Rapid »

Wolfgan wrote: To be honest, i don't think any mobile CPU/GPU is powerful enough for transcoding (most of the video work on those devices are implemented in GPU or special media sections of the SoC), so low level access is required for performance oriented apps like transcoding. UMS relies basically on mencoder an ffmpeg for the transcoding work, and I don't think those are available for any mobile platform (VLC ported its player to the mobile world just recently as an example).
Here's FFmpeg for Android.

For example, my Honor 7 phone contains a 8 core ARM CPU (Quad-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53 & quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53) and a Mali-T628 MP4 GPU which is also an 8 core processing unit. I think it's more than capable of transcoding.

Also, I read about someone made Plex working with full transcoding on an ARM based ODROID-XU3. So theoretically it is possible.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Rapid wrote:
Wolfgan wrote: To be honest, i don't think any mobile CPU/GPU is powerful enough for transcoding (most of the video work on those devices are implemented in GPU or special media sections of the SoC), so low level access is required for performance oriented apps like transcoding. UMS relies basically on mencoder an ffmpeg for the transcoding work, and I don't think those are available for any mobile platform (VLC ported its player to the mobile world just recently as an example).
Here's FFmpeg for Android.

For example, my Honor 7 phone contains a 8 core ARM CPU (Quad-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53 & quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53) and a Mali-T628 MP4 GPU which is also an 8 core processing unit. I think it's more than capable of transcoding.

Also, I read about someone made Plex working with full transcoding on an ARM based ODROID-XU3. So theoretically it is possible.
It may be theoretically possible from specs perspective, but i doubt it will work in the real world (mostly in mobile phones). In order to have slim phones,the SoCs are poorly refrigerated and can't sustain high clocks for longer times before temp alarms restrict usage and start downclocking, high temp also increases system unstability and it's not uncommon for phones to reset under stress (ie high end games). It also makes the system dangerous due to temp increase in LiOn batteries (explosion risk), so the system triggers even more cool down safeties to ensure battery stays cool.

If you have the ability to run ffmpeg on your phone, give it a try and measure the performance during transcoding. It may work... In the end, UMS sources are public so you may be the lead for the Android version! :-)