[Resolved] (virtually) Merge shared folders

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: (virtually) Merge shared folders

Post by SubJunk »

MasterPhW wrote:I second that. It's a great feature I wasn't aware till ExSports post. It isn't even described in the UMS.conf at all. ;)
It's on our to-do list for sure :) But it is in UMS.conf, you must have an older version of it
MasterPhW

Post by MasterPhW »

SubJunk wrote:
MasterPhW wrote:I second that. It's a great feature I wasn't aware till ExSports post. It isn't even described in the UMS.conf at all. ;)
It's on our to-do list for sure :) But it is in UMS.conf, you must have an older version of it
You can see my ums.conf hosted at pastebin one post ago, so you can tell me, whether I am missing more important entries in the file. Also shouldn't it get updated with a new UMS version aswell?
I'm just updating it and let the updater override all files, so I thought it would also bring all config files to the newest version.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

UMS.conf is never upgraded. Selecting "clean install" in the Windows installer replaces it with a new one though. Here is the entry in the latest UMS.conf
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Seems it doesn't work as we described 8-)
Old implementation via "virtual_folders" was replaced with json "vfolders" so only json syntax works:
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... =20#p77847
MasterPhW

Post by MasterPhW »

Okay, now it get's confusing.
So I need to add a vfolders_json.conf to the ProgramData/UMS/ path (btw: why is it programdata instead of AppData?) and add my paths in JSON format, right?
So how would it look like to have it the way I wanted to set it up with Movies (U:/, V:/, & W:/) and Series (X:/, Y:/ & Z:/)?
And what's with the custom childs? Is it for additional sorting?
swemoney

Post by swemoney »

I can't wait for this to be part of the GUI to make it easier to set up but I just got this working on my Mac no version 2.4.2 of UMS so I'll share how I did it.

First caveat, if you remove the folders line from your UMS.conf file, it'll still revert to <All Drives> so in addition to your virtual drives, you'll have a root share. Make sure you put SOMETHING in your folders = if you don't want to share "All Drives".

Second caveat, I'm using a separate file for the json because it makes it easier to write and visualize. Because of this (I think) the "Restart Server" button didn't actually reload that setting when I changed the vfolders line of the UMS.conf file. I had to quit the whole application and restart it again. This might not be the case if you put your json inside the vfolders line but I'm uncertain about this so if you don't notice changes, just restart the whole app instead of just the server.

Last caveat, If you have "TV/Some Show" and "Downloads/TV/Some Show" and you try and "merge" them by just adding "TV" as well as "Downloads/TV", you will just get 2 "Some Show" folders. I got around this by just creating a new child for each show so that they merge.

Other than those caveats, it's very easy to set up. Start with your UMS.conf file (on a Mac, it's located in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/UMS. Unsure about other platforms locations.) I recommend that you use a separate file for your vfolders config. You should be able to place the json directly into this line, but it's just easier to maintain a separate file that only contains your virtual folder setup.

Code: Select all

vfolders = @/Users/username/Library/Application Support/UMS/vfolders.conf
Now create a new file inside that same UMS folder called vfolders.conf. Mine is as follows.

Code: Select all

[
	{
		"name"  : "Movies",
		"files" : ["/Users/username/Movies/Movies","/Users/username/Downloads/Movies"]
	},

{
		"name"     : "TV Shows",
		"children" : [
			{"name" : "Big Brother Canada",
			"files" : ["/Users/username/Downloads/TV/Big Brother Canada",
					   "/Users/username/Movies/TV/Big Brother Canada"]},
			{"name" : "Doctor Who",
			"files" : ["/Users/username/Downloads/TV/Doctor Who",
					   "/Users/username/Movies/TV/Doctor Who"]}
		]
	}
]
You can mix and match the "children" and "files" objects as well, but it doesn't mesh well with my current setup so I settled on this. I'll expand the "children" section of my TV folder any time I start a new show.