Clean install / options

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
squadjot

Clean install / options

Post by squadjot »

I think it would be pretty neat if you could choose what you'd "clean install"

Things i would choose to "keep" would be the "renderers"-folder and the "VirtualFolders.conf" and my share paths.

I know it's "easy" to have backups of these files,and replace them after install.. but this would just be even easier ^^

Edit: And if done completely "right", it should include all settings that can only be 100% custom anyways, such as alternative coverart folder and other custom paths, share/display/sort preferences, any custom security settings etc etc. .. but that may be a bit to ambitious :P
erick diangilis

Re: Clean install / options

Post by erick diangilis »

i like the idea sounds pretty good to me to have the possibility to choose what do i want to reset or to leave the way it was customized. :)
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

It's look a good idea to me ;)
Since we can already use the export part implemented in the Logs tab, it's half the work done, it will just need to implement the import part.
Do it sound reasonnable to you ?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

@Sami, yea something like that might work.

Been thinking about it ..So it' quite clear that "clean install" will delete Config dir, program dir and fontcache.. but what the "Improved defaults" are, will always be ambiguous.
ums.png
ums.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 18586 times
"This allows you to take take advantage og improved defaults", makes a lot of ordinary users like me choose "clean install". Who doesn't want to "take advantage og improved defaults""? :D

I always choose "clean install", but i wonder if i even need this option? And couldn't UMS make sure i was taking advantage of the improved defaults some how,.. without presenting me with this deceitful choice :P (..of deleting all my settings,.. which i didn't backup ..cause i'm a mess)

Edit: So where i'm going with this, is that i would feel better about "clean install" being some kind of "rescue/reset" option, you only select when everything has gone bonkers.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@squadjot Many renderers conf are upgraded, UMS.conf as well, so keeping your old one could avoid you to have this speed, support improvements.
The improvements are writed in each release on the forum, and if you want precisely know which one affect UMS.conf,WEB.conf or you renderer conf you just need to check on Github for that, nothing ambiguous ;)

It's why i think that option will be more safe, for users, in this area :
capture_07172016_215138.jpg
capture_07172016_215138.jpg (328.17 KiB) Viewed 18579 times
But it's up to the people interested to agree with a convenient way, not giving confusion to new users.
Like told me a smart guy :) , nobody want listen complain for a modification that at the end give more problems than it solved.

P.S. https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -122760236
Last edited by Sami32 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Yes, many renderer configs gets upgraded, and sure "clean install" will get the job done, i'm just questioning if it could be done more eloquant.
The same goes for handling UMS.conf, virtualfolders and other custom settings that you'd expect users to fiddle with between installs.

Edit: On the positive note, this is only a "problem" because UMS gets updated so often, which is of course super nice :)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Another solution could be to have a custom renderer-config folder that would not get deleted.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

squadjot wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 am Another solution could be to have a custom renderer-config folder that would not get deleted.
That already exists, it's in the "renderers" folder in the profile folder. On a standard Windows installation that translates to "C:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers".
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Nadahar wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 am
squadjot wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 am Another solution could be to have a custom renderer-config folder that would not get deleted.
That already exists, it's in the "renderers" folder in the profile folder. On a standard Windows installation that translates to "C:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers".
What do you mean? Doesn't the renderers folder gets deleted by a "clean install"?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I admit I didn't read the whole tread, I just saw that you suggested that there should be a custom renderer-config folder that would not be deleted.

That is indeed the function of the "renderers" folder inside the profile folder. It will not be deleted with a normal uninstall, or changed during normal installation.

"Clean install" is something very different, it explicitly deletes every trace that UMS was ever installed, all configuration, database installation, and anything else that might be in UMS' folders. It's not something that should be used normally, hardly at all in my opinion. If somebody has fucked up their configuration, it's much better to just rename or delete the configuration file than to do a "clean install" which deletes everything.