[ADDED] Selecting renderer config files at install

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
SpeedyQ

[ADDED] Selecting renderer config files at install

Post by SpeedyQ »

Problem statement:
It seems that some renderers send exactly the same identification string to UMS.
This means that UMS will match this string with the very first renderer configuration it will find and this is not necessarily the right one.
For an example also see my thread in the Renderers section where Streamium, Yamaha RX-V773, Naim Uniti and possibly a Denon receiver use the same identification string (KnOS/3.2 bridgeCo-DMP/3.0 DLNADOC/1.50 INTEL_NMPR/2.0).
Workaround at this moment is to only include the renderer config files in the renderers directory that you really need for your personal situation.
It also means that you have to do this when installing a new UMS version update.

Possible solution suggestions:
1. Find another way to distinguish further using differences lying beyond the identification string
2. Let the user choose which renderer config files should be installed
3. Building in a feature in the GUI to select the renderers that should be activated/enabled

Maybe there are more solutions possible, but that is food for thought for the developers I guess...
I hope this will be build in some future release.
Last edited by SpeedyQ on Fri May 03, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsabio

Re: Selecting renderer config files at install

Post by elsabio »

Yes, I think having profiles being marked "active" or not might help with this.
The real problem comes when I have a Denon 2112 ci in one room and a Phillips Streamium in another. In that situation, disambiguation might be achievable by adding an IP or name (or maybe even MAC) lookup to the configuration.

This issue is not confined to these devices BTW - I also have a Seagate GoFlexTV which is identified as a RealTek device (whose UMS profile supports fewer Video formats).

Of course, it might be possible to come up with a single configuration for the HTTP matched devices that works well for all of them ... we need a small but dedicated army of testers for that !
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I've made a build that has an "ignore renderers" feature. So you enter the name of the renderer/s you want to ignore and it will skip that configuration, allowing another renderer configuration to detect it.
http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS- ... derers.exe
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Hi Subjunk,

I have tested the 'ignore' functionality by entering 'Streamium' in the box and now it detects my Yamaha RX-V773 config file just fine as expected. :)
(it also shows it as such in the debug.log that it ignores the Streamium)
So I guess this will work in most cases for users having similar problem; only tough luck if you have both devices on the same network.

Oh and Maybe you want to include the renderer config file in the UMS distribution.
I have tested it only on the RX-V773, but it should also work for the RX-V673 (it shares the same manual).
And maybe other (lower) numbers in the series as well, but that is just my guess.

Anyway, thanks for the effort and let me know if I should test some more.
Attachments
YamahaRXV773.conf
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I'm glad you like that version SpeedQ, I think it's a good idea too. At least you get a choice to remove a renderer, but i like the idea of a check box style system though as that give you an idea of what renderer's are catererd for. I know if you read the logs you can find out, but i read the log all the time normal users may not
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

I don't know if adding checkboxes in the GUI is a good idea, as the list of renderers can get quite extensive in the future.
If you look from a user's point of view, a user only needs a few of those renderers (in my situation only 4) and it is not very likely that that number will change very often.
Also fom a programmers point of view it makes sense to keep the ''Enabled list'' as small as possible since it occupies less memory runtime.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Not so much a big page of checkboxes on the gui taking up valuable space but more a menu that launches from a menu selection that contains the renderer options (like deselection). I've done a little work myself on UMS menu stuff in the gui as apart of my own version i run here at home (testing for myself to get better coding java) and i've been toying at what to implement and maybe submit to the UMS repo but as usual i run out of time, due to work. But memory runtime wouldn't be that large and i don't think it would add much to UMS's overhead (and thats something i've looked at quite closely of late). Anything would be better than nothing :D
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Optimus, I'm not arguing with you because I know there's a lot of solutions out there to make thingspossible in a GUI.
Only point that I would like to make is that whatever you built in UMS should fit the general purpose and requirements of the users.
And yes I'm very pleased how things are progressing right now and I can't wait to see an implementation integrated in the software..
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I'm sorry SpeedyQ if you thought i was arguing with you mate i thought of it as more of a discussion, but thanks for the ideas mate and keep them coming more the better :D
How Ask For Support
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Ok, cool. We're on the same frequency Optimus. No sweat... :D