[CLOSED] Forum Feature: See global todo list

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
nicomess

[CLOSED] Forum Feature: See global todo list

Post by nicomess »

SubJunk replies to almost every request possible to implement with "I'll add it to the list".

It would be nice to have a global list of feature requests and their corresponding discussion threads so users can quickly see an overview and if their feature request has already been made.

Another handy thing would be showing some kind of indicators of the devs implementation priority ( low , mid, high ) and a current status like ( upcoming, in progress, implemented in Version X / commit ID ).

Feedback / improvements / more information to include would be nice :-)
Optimus_prime

Re: Forum Feature: See global todo list

Post by Optimus_prime »

Not a bad idea at all, we will see what Subjunk thinks. It would be helpful to know what things are going on in the background for the guys on the forums who don't follow the code changes on git :D
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Or you can follow the from time to time lively discussion on git (you don't need to read the code) :D
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
nicomess

Post by nicomess »

Just to clarify ... thanks for the hint to GitHub. Before i had bookmarked the "old" Google Code project :-)

Please put some light into your development / release process.

I found the following UMS project pages by now:

Official Homepage

SourceForge ( where the builts are currently being released )

GitHub ( where the active development takes place )

GoogleCode ( OUTDATED/DEPRECATED - owned by @SubJunk )

The GitHub project does not have the issue tracker enabled ... so where does the "from time to time lively discussion" happen? :roll:

[Currently used Issue Tracker]
https://code.google.com/p/universal-med ... ned+Closed

[Open Pull Requests on GitHub & discussion]
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... rver/pulls

[Some notes / ideas]

:idea:
I still think it would be a great improvement to have an overview of issues/feature requests already collected as a highlighted thread in the forum.
Requires a bit of work but would prevent work on the other side moderating threads where users request features already requested.

Why not conssider moving the issues to GitHub? ( i would be willing to help transfer those from google code. ).
GitHub also offers a nice tagging system which really helps for sorting the issues ( bug / feature / ... )

The Github's README.md should probably also link to the SourceForge releases. :?:

A bigger banner like "Help us making UMS more awesome" on the homepage would certainly attract more people to contribute and help resolve issues / implement features quicker.

Regarding the GoogleCode project - it would be nice add some notes to the project description :arrow: stating that the active development now takes place on github.
User's or possible contributors ( like me ) could easily be fooled into thinking the development is not active any more ... as the tracker link on the UMS homepage links there. :?

[EDIT]
Found some new issues in the "old" Google Project repo. Wondered why the "Tracker" link on the UMS homepage still links there.
Clicking the "..." and enabling Opened and Modified colums for sorting really helps. I clicked the first few issues and thought they were all from 2012 / outdated.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

nicomess i'll try and shed some light where i can:
nicomess wrote: SourceForge ( where the builts are currently being released )
It's just another location where user's can get UMS from (and where we store all old releases as well)
GoogleCode ( OUTDATED/DEPRECATED - owned by @SubJunk )
The main location (and original) you get your version of UMS from (contains old releases as well). From time to time i release beta builds myself with my code changes to get users to test it, they live on sourceforge
Background: Subjunk builds and releases the Windows and Linux versions, I handle the OS-X Versions. Thats why there's a difference of the places (and times) where you get OS-X from to the others (they all make it on both sites eventually)
The GitHub project does not have the issue tracker enabled ... so where does the "from time to time lively discussion" happen? :roll:
The tracker lives here http://code.google.com/p/universal-medi ... ssues/list It's still in the same place as we used google code first before moving to github. But you have it listed already. The lively discussion happens as the code gets submitted and it's where anyone who thinks there's an issue with it can comment. Your own Pull requests are always welcome and helps the guys out if you've thought of something they havent.
I still think it would be a great improvement to have an overview of issues/feature requests already collected as a highlighted thread in the forum.
Requires a bit of work but would prevent work on the other side moderating threads where users request features already requested.
Hopefully we can come to a consensus on this soon, but someone has to take time to populate it. If your willing then i've PM'd subjunk with your request to help out from another forum topic.
Why not conssider moving the issues to GitHub? ( i would be willing to help transfer those from google code. ).
GitHub also offers a nice tagging system which really helps for sorting the issues ( bug / feature / ... )
Not sure if subjunk or the rest of the team feels about this one, but it sounds like a good idea. Keep it all in one place, but i suppose we will wait until we find out what the other guys think.
The Github's README.md should probably also link to the SourceForge releases. :?:
Yes we should get around to do that
Regarding the GoogleCode project - it would be nice add some notes to the project description :arrow: stating that the active development now takes place on github.
User's or possible contributors ( like me ) could easily be fooled into thinking the development is not active any more ... as the tracker link on the UMS homepage links there. :?
I'm not so sure that everyone would be fooled by that, but you do make a good point. There should be something on there that tells people that Githubs where the code is now. The tracker being on google code shouldn't be much of an issue though
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Support --> Code link points to GitHub.