Question about adding old code

Developers forum for Univeral Media Server-related development (only for programmers)
rnb5500

Question about adding old code

Post by rnb5500 »

After scouring over PS3 Media Server site at google code I was able to isolate the old hdaudiopassthrough code. I've since added it back to UMS 3.0a5 and have been testing it a few weeks.

Obviously this is just a personal project and I have no desire to make it available, but not having any Java coding experience before this my question is how do I go about updating to UMS3.0 and newer builds as they come out but keep my added code intact. I mean without having to manually add the code to every build.

Thanx.
Optimus_prime

Re: Question about adding old code

Post by Optimus_prime »

We're looking at adding back in the hdaudiopassthrough code back in i think. You would have to add it in back in everytime i think mate, or try submitting it as a pull request to UMS git repo
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I would be interested in getting the code from you and just adding it back into our main code :)
rnb5500

Post by rnb5500 »

I was under the impression that hdaudiopassthrough (trying not to use the C word) was an avoided topic here and the code had legal concerns.
But if you want to add it that's even better, less work for me :D Here's a link to what I've got:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Rk6M ... sp=sharing

Try not to laugh at my noob coding attempt :oops: but much of the syntax has changed since PMS1.40 and it can't be injected directly so I did the best I could. I did test it and it does what its supposed to, encapsulate AC3 & DTS in LPCM, but I'm sure you guys will have room for improvement.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It's a useful feature to have without the C word anyway I think :) Thanks a lot! You'll get credit in the changelog too
rnb5500

Post by rnb5500 »

I checked github and most of the affected files haven't changed since the 3.0a5 version I used, but some have.

Also this got me thinking about expanding the feature. I have some rips I've done where I encoded DTS-HD and TrueHD to AAC to save space under the assumption I could get similar quality as DTS core (and better than AC3) at lower bitrates.

So I'm wondering what it would take to encode other audio to AC3 and encapsulate it before streaming. It would seem all the parts are there to make it work. Your thoughts?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

If you know how to grab code from GitHub branches you can grab it from here https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... r/pull/145
I'm not sure about the new feature since it seems to me that encoding to AAC then AC-3 is introducing unnecessary quality loss, I wonder if it would be possible to encapsulate AAC?
rnb5500

Post by rnb5500 »

I'm nearly done adding the code to the most recent files I just grabbed from github then I'll post them here. I'm not setup with github, maven, jdk etc to compile builds or upload changes to github because I just clean installed Win8.1 All I have is notepad++ right now. :)

**Edit: Here's the files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Rk6M ... sp=sharing
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I already added it to our code, it's at the link I posted :)
rnb5500

Post by rnb5500 »

Oh ok cool.

AFA encapsulating AAC, guess it would depend on how many receivers & TVs support AAC decoding to decide if it would be worthwhile.