Dead and deprecated code removal

Developers forum for Univeral Media Server-related development (only for programmers)
valib
Developer

Dead and deprecated code removal

Post by valib »

Hi guys.
I think that the program is infested by a lot of useless code. What about to anounce for plugin developers that in short time (e.g. one month) all deprecated code will be removed and do it?
What do you think about that?
kuroukage

Re: Dead and deprecated code removal

Post by kuroukage »

Which part(s) of the code do you consider useless?
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

I think it should be clear from the topic ;)
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

I was asking because I was curious as to what parts of the code are "dead" and "deprecated". I should have been more specific with my question, sorry. :P
黒影
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah that sounds like a good idea :)
kuroukage, the parts are marked in the code as deprecated, basically they are blocks of code that have been replaced but have been kept around so that plugins can use them.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

All the depracated code is used only for backward compatibility with plugins and are useless for the progarm itself. When plugins will adopt all changes we made we can all that staf delete.
SubJunk you were faster :D
Last edited by valib on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Yeah I was just reading a bit about deprecated code. It's usually left in for compatibility and standards reasons. I was just curious as to which part(s) of the code he was referring to specifically. I'm also interested in learning how to write code myself. I'm just not sure which language I should start with.
黒影
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

valib wrote:All the depracated code is used only fo backward compatibility with plugins and are useless for the progarm itself. When plugins will adopt all changes we made we can all that staf delete.
SubJunk you were faster :D
Yesss I win the race
kuroukage wrote:Yeah I was just reading a bit about deprecated code. It's usually left in for compatibility and standards reasons. I was just curious as to which part(s) of the code he was referring to specifically. I'm also interested in learning how to write code myself. I'm just not sure which language I should start with.
The deprecated code is everywhere really, you can do a search through the code for "@Deprecated" to see it.

For learning programming I recommend starting with JavaScript (not jQuery or anything, just plain JavaScript). The reason is that it is browser-based which means you can just refresh the page to see changes instead of having to compile, plus it is super simple so it is a great way to learn programming basics (like different types of statements and loops) without a lot of other language-specific stuff to get in the way.
Once you understand programming basics you can switch between any popular language fairly easily.
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

SubJunk wrote:For learning programming I recommend starting with JavaScript.
Is there a website/book you can recommend as a best source for learning?
黒影
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

W3schools was useful to me while learning