Dead and deprecated code removal

Developers forum for Univeral Media Server-related development (only for programmers)
kuroukage

Re: Dead and deprecated code removal

Post by kuroukage »

Awesome, thanks. I'll bookmark that site and look into it soon. How long did it take you to learn Java?
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I didn't learn Java really. I learned JavaScript (and HTML/CSS) at first (which BTW has nothing to do with Java) then PHP, and when I started working on PS3MS I didn't know any Java - my first release was just an icon and images update, then I kept having ideas for features I wanted to use in the program so I made them by looking through the code and extending the relevant parts until I became more familiar, so I guess it was like learning on the job :) Different people learn different ways but I always found it more fun to poke around the code and edit it and test what the edit did. I don't think it's the most efficient way to learn but it's more fun for me than tutorials.
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

SubJunk wrote:Different people learn different ways but I always found it more fun to poke around the code and edit it and test what the edit did. I don't think it's the most efficient way to learn but it's more fun for me than tutorials.
That's actually the way I like to learn things. Through trial and error. It's fun poking around trying to figure out what does what and "whoops, I broke that, now how do I fix it?" I think that'll probably be the best way for me to learn coding. Using a tutorial and breaking someone else's code and trying to fix it. :P
黒影
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

I like to rephrase the question to "what harm does the deprecated code do?". If it doesn't harm UMS (which I doubt) and removing it would make working plugins useless I would say don't do it. It will make the user experience bad.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah it's a good point
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Was he wanting to remove deprecated/dead code to help optimize the speed of UMS?
黒影
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It wouldn't impact the speed. It would make the filesize smaller and the code cleaner