Moving OS-X to Java 7 as default

Developers forum for Univeral Media Server-related development (only for programmers)
Optimus_prime

Moving OS-X to Java 7 as default

Post by Optimus_prime »

Just wanted your opinions moving OS-X onto Java 7, as i think i can say with a hand on my heart that after some fairly extensive testing (on my behalf, with so far only one other user taking part with success mind you) i think can safely move these releases onto the java 7 platform. There is still some still some minor work to do fixing the pom.xml automation in the build process but apart from that i think we can safely do it. I'm happy for now to continue manually building the releases until i've finished making the changes and testing it works correctly building automatically and submitted it to the UMS Repo Should have it done by the end of the weekend work permitting). Any disagreements? Any points to discuss please post
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Moving OS-X to Java 7 as default

Post by SubJunk »

Great work. Since we already plan to release alpha and beta versions of 3.0.0 let's do this with 3.0.0 alpha too. That way there should be lots of testers
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

We have an issue with 32bit OSX as it's throwing this
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -5
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1875) ~[na:1.7.0_21]
at net.pms.util.WindowsRegistry.readRegistry(WindowsRegistry.java:34) ~[ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.configuration.PmsConfiguration.isAutoStart(PmsConfiguration.java:1746) ~[ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.newgui.GeneralTab.build(GeneralTab.java:107) ~[ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.newgui.LooksFrame.buildMain(LooksFrame.java:405) ~[ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.newgui.LooksFrame.buildContent(LooksFrame.java:377) ~[ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.newgui.LooksFrame.<init>(LooksFrame.java:253) ~[ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.PMS.init(PMS.java:420) [ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.PMS.createInstance(PMS.java:968) [ums.jar:3.0.0]
at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:1060) [ums.jar:3.0.0]
I Can't identify what the issue is but as it's only affecting this particular version i'm not we will be able to fix it. I think it has something to do with java 7 only being released for mac as 64bit, but it's hard to find any other reason
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It looks like it's not working well for some OS X users: http://code.google.com/p/universal-medi ... tail?id=63
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I know about this issue, It's all because Java 7 isn't supported on 32bit OS-X Operating systems. This can't be fixed, as i've tried and nothing seems to work. Thats why i pointed out in the forum to stick with 2.x.x releases for now for those users on 32bit OS-x

Any suggestions Subjunk, noting that this issue lie's with older mac's/ and mac mini's that apple won't be supporting in future OS-X releases. Or do you want to stay on the disjointed OS-X release path (noting we've moved from java 6 to 7 on all the other releases)
How Ask For Support
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I think I would rather stay on the different OS X path for now. It's no problem for me to maintain it and we can revisit later.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Thats fine by me mate, i'll continue to build whatever you want :D
I'll continue to put up Java 7 releases for OS-X for those who want them as long as your happy
How Ask For Support
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Sounds great :)
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I'm going to be putting some work into getting ready to change the pom for this into a new branch over the next few weeks. As OS-X gets older we do need to start thinking about the change as Apple is no longer supporting anything later than 10.7. I will need help creating a new branch when this is ready.
How Ask For Support
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Optimus_prime wrote:I'm going to be putting some work into getting ready to change the pom for this into a new branch over the next few weeks. As OS-X gets older we do need to start thinking about the change as Apple is no longer supporting anything later than 10.7. I will need help creating a new branch when this is ready.
Good ol apple...