Game of Thrones

For discussing TV series
SharkHunter
Developer

Game of Thrones

Post by SharkHunter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Ok it's my fault we got these section so I must of course make a post here as well. I make a safe bet, and take Game of Thrones.
First I've read the books (all 5) which might cloud my judgement. Form a series point of view it is well made not question about it.
It follows the book fairly ok (even though season 2 leaves the path too much for my taste). That said this is something that should be watched.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by SubJunk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Yep GoT is one of my favourite shows, I really like it. It has everything!

lastmoexit

Post by lastmoexit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 am

been tryin' to find time to watch this, but just been busy, busy, busy

Jeymz

Post by Jeymz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:10 am

For people who don't know the books or the show I think a word of warning is in order:
There are lots of characters and settings and plots, which can get become a bit overwhelming. I cannot imagine that someone who didn't study the books can follow the show without getting confused. At least not without online character guides or whatever.
Also it definitely isn't one of these shows of which you can randomly watch some of the episodes. You've got to watch it in order from the beginning if you want to stand a chance.

That said, it certainly is one of the greatest shows ever. They also spent a lot of money on it. The costumes and effects can beat most theater movies.
I never heard of anyone who doesn't love GoT.

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:10 am

I haven't read the books (although I'm reading the first one now in-between seasons) and didn't find it confusing at all. There is a lot going on but usually I think TV shows are too slow so this is just right for me, I love having different things happening every 5 minutes.
I've been amazed at how faithful the series is to the first book, to the point of having dialogue and scenes exactly the same. So if you have already watched the series and attempt to read the books afterwards, you may become a bit bored because a lot of it is just word-for-word the same.
I know a lot of people like when the show or movie stays the same as the books but I like it when it's different because otherwise what's the point, you're just repeating what's been done *waits for flames* :lol:

The best example of this done right for me is 2001: A Space Odyssey because the film and book are so completely different that both need to be read/watched in order to gain the full picture. If you only watch the film or only read the book then you have missed very important things.

SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm one of those who like the show/movie to stay "true" to the book but that said it doesn't need to be 100% true. Since the books in the Song of Ice Fire saga is 1000 pages + a piece there are stuff that needs to be cut from the movie. I think they did a great job with this in season 1 of GoT they added a bit more nudity which probably got more viewvers :) The only thing that I can complain about is thatI think the tournament is too short...
In season 2 the changes are bigger (it's a bigger book too) and some of them are silly. They could have been as the book and there is actually no gain in changeing them.
A small note on the books as well. I missed this series completly and rad the first 2 just before season 1 started and now I just finished book 5. And the 3rd book is a real twister, hope they can make it good on TV too.Book 4 was a bit of a drag but it all bounced back in 5.

S7eele

Post by S7eele » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:33 am

Great show! HBO is doing a fantastic job putting an enormous amount of information into an entertaining format. Much more than that of course, it stands on its own as one of the best TV shows I have seen whether there was a series of books involved or not. This is by far my favorite genre in film and reading but I have not read this particular series. As anyone who loves the genre has I have read Robert Jordan (WoT), Terry Goodkind and of course Tolkien, among MANY others. They all have very similar structure and generally involve an enormous number of characters and other plot devices, this is no exception and they have done it well this time.
Peace!

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 am

Found these recently:
TheKnownWorld.jpg
TheKnownWorld.jpg (638.52 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
Braavos.jpg
Braavos.jpg (656.99 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
KingsLanding.jpg
KingsLanding.jpg (701.21 KiB) Viewed 8480 times

SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Yes it's back!!! Just viewed first episode of season 3 and for those of us who likes this (or the books) it's as good as always. This book is (in my opinion) the best. There is a lot of stuff coming down towards the end. Hope they make it right...

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Soooo gooood...