Hell on Wheels

For discussing TV series
S7eele

Hell on Wheels

Post by S7eele » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 am

Freakin' awesome, best thing I have seen in a while. Best western series I can remember atm and I was a big Deadwood fan. Still freaks me out that it isn't Gene Hackman up on the screen. Recommend for sure!
Peace!

S7eele

Re: Hell on Wheels

Post by S7eele » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:19 am

Damn, nobody else like this show?
Peace!

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:09 am

I've been watching it. Can't decide if I like it yet. Deadwood was a masterpiece with its dialogue and characters, but Hell on Wheels seems like it uses stereotypical characters so far (after seeing the first 5 episodes). The dialogue is good but nowhere near Deadwood IMO, Deadwood dialogue was like poetry whereas this is more straight-forward. Still mostly believable though.
What I like about Hell on Wheels is that it's stylish, they use great music and video post-processing quality, crisp editing, so it is a tight production.
What do you like about it so much, S7eele? Maybe if you tell me, I will like it more

S7eele

Post by S7eele » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Okay, callin' me out. lol. Seriously though, you mentioned some of the things I like so much about the show. It is well put together, strong actors and even more importantly strong characters. I love the "hero" in Bohannon, Common is surprisingly good and Hyerdhal (I think) as the railroad tycoon is great. Regarding the railroad tycoon, his performance is very similar to Gene Hackman so that may be another reason I like it (not a good reason but a reason). Think you also mentioned believable and that's a big one for me. They don't come near Deadwood in this area but as you said, Deadwood was a rare gem. I just finished it having watched the first season but never tuning in again. Loved it, can't stand the fact or the way it ended but that is for another thread.

I guess it might really come down to the genre, I love westerns and always have. Not much in the way of selection in the genre. So, just being a well put together series with a strong cast and a good storyline in this genre makes it a must watch for me. I like the mix of action, personal relationships, antagonist/protagonist and overall story line. The general thought of the great journey into the west and the original Americans with an unbelievably rich culture.

Well, there ya go. Not sure it really responds to your comment but.....

Peace!
Peace!

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 am

Cool, thanks for the response. Maybe now I'll like it more :)

S7eele

Post by S7eele » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Doubt it affects how much you like it but I enjoyed giving it some thought and submitting the post so its all good. I think my point about not having much to choose from in the genre has a great deal to do with why I like it so much, along with all the other things we mentioned. Not Deadwood for sure and hope it ends better. Speaking of Deadwood, I have a moment so I'm gonna ask you something in a new thread.
Peace!

ericaclayton123

Post by ericaclayton123 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:51 pm

It is a different TV show.

tmokbel1965

Post by tmokbel1965 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:06 am

Anyone watching the new season? I completely forgot it was coming back on and need to catch up. Any good?