Version 3.0.0 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
sup191

Re: Version 3.0.0 is released

Post by sup191 »

I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect of knowing I'm running a new version with many updates and upgrades, but the quality of video streaming to my Sony HX TV is incredible!! It looks so much better than with the last version. Placebo effect or not, GREAT job with the new version! :D
mannitou

Post by mannitou »

I don't have any thumbnail in my ps3. After investigation, I found that the executable: ums-3.0.0/ffmpeg is not working on Linux Debian error message: Segmentation fault). I remplace it by the old version from ums-2.6.4. And now I have thumbnail.

PS: according to debian ffmpeg:
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.

Other thing on linux I recomand to use export JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true" before to launch UMS.sh. To avoid "Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment - Exception Type java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" error.
ihatehume

Post by ihatehume »

Just wanted to report in that I'm using the new build for Mplayer and so far, so good. I hadn't noticed a huge increase in quality or efficiency but it performs as well as the prior versions, if not slightly better visually. Unlike previous folks, I've experienced no audio and video drift since using the 3.0 versions. I do notice the occasional slight pause (miliseconds) when lots of action is happening on screen but that was there in the last version, too.

I'm streaming .mkvs with subs wired to an Xbox with Mencoder as my primary transcoder; 10bit or otherwise. 720P files play great, but my 4 core machine running windows 7 doesn't have enough juice to do 1080P (it slowly runs out of buffer). Machine is a Intel 2 quad core @ 2.66ghz with 8 GB or RAM and pretty much only runs UMS when watching vids. I've also got a .bat file set up so that when I launch UMS, the system gives it and java high priority.

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know if Mencoder would be more efficient with a PS3? I'm thinking of switching out the xbox if I could transcode 1080P faster at the highest quality (which is what I'm running now).

I will say this - I've never been able to get resume of FF/rewind to work despite the checked option, but I think that also has to do with the xbox.

Thanks for making this such a great piece of kit, UMS Team!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

hannubys wrote:Hello,
I want to know if there are some config recommended for my computer. (I'm new to UMS)

Java: 7.45 x64
memory: 32Go RAM
processor: I7 3770k
graphic: AMD HD7970 OC
Network: Gigabit
Most movies in 720p, 1080p
Xbox 360 slim

Is there any settings I should enable in UMS for the best playback ? Or can you share a config file ?
The default settings are what I recommend. They are the highest quality and the most stable
pipin

Post by pipin »

valib wrote:
pipin wrote:
I see improvement with my subtitle problem with a LG TV. The files now show an info, that there is an external subtitle and they will play (former version always showed just an error). Ok subtitle still won't show, but i'm optimistic now, that a future version will solve this problem.
Sorry we couldn't help you without users support. I have only Panasonic TV so I cannot check what other renderers need. If your renderer is capable to show directly streamed external subs e.g from Seviiio we need the snoop of the traffic and then we'll take a look on it and maybe we can solve it.

That was a good call. With serviio the subtitles are shown on my LG TV (42LD751). How do I snoop the traffic?
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Use wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/ and upload the pcap files
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
sukh77

Post by sukh77 »

My Sony KDL70R550a TV gets detected as a vizio.
If I take the vizio conf file out, then the renderer doesn't get detected.

With the vizio conf the movie listing are very slow to load or they don't load at all, playing the movies takes even longer, or they don't play or they will start playing at weird sports.

I have tried Plex media server, it responses and plays movies better, but can't play all formats.

Please help. Let me know if anything is needed from me. I did start a thread and uploaded the debug files there, but the thread closed.
djmajicmixx

Post by djmajicmixx »

[quote="sukh77"]My Sony KDL70R550a TV gets detected as a vizio.quote]

Just an Idea. Remove anything That Says vizio in The vizio Renderer Profile And Name it Sony KDL70R550a.

Here is An Example Of The vizio Renderer File

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Vizio Smart TV.
# See PS3.conf for a description of all possible configuration options.
#

RendererName=Vizio Smart TV
RendererIcon=viziosmarttv.png
UserAgentSearch = IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50

Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGPSAC3
TranscodeAudio=LPCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true

And This is The Same With it Changed To Sony KDL70R550a

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Sony KDL70R550a.
# See PS3.conf for a description of all possible configuration options.
#

RendererName=Sony KDL70R550a
RendererIcon=sonybluray.png
UserAgentSearch = IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50

Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGPSAC3