Version 9.8.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
Icebear

Re: Version 9.8.0 released

Post by Icebear »

Hi guys,
great work with this new version. I follow you since a few years now, and your are the best out here ! Thanks a lot for your time and effort !

I have a small question : is it possible to compile or launch UMS under a Synology NAS environment ?

Best Regards,
elpenor

Post by elpenor »

I just made an account to thank you for this great software. I use and recommend it for many years, i even made a mini review on a local forum. I wish i was able to donate more and more often.

It is the only DLNA server that has all the features i need and is able to stream high bit rate movies flawlessly on my local lan. This version fixed all my problems with my new Samsung TV which is great because i had to manually mux external subtitles before.

Thank you!
chichan

Post by chichan »

Hi,
I confirmed in the Version 9.7.2 released announcement thread that there is no longer a warning from the Windows OS when launching the installer. Thanks for sorting this out.

However, I did come across an issue with the installation of 9.8.0 which I'll document below.

After launching the 9.8.0 executable on my Win 10 OS it stopped to inform me that the java process was still active. I quit UMS and the installation completed without any issues. So far, so good (I assume this is expected behaviour).

After the installation had completed I noticed the UMS icon was no longer present in the system tray. I assumed that once the 9.8.0 install had completed, UMS would be restarted but this didn't seem to have happened. I launched the USM App but nothing happened. Rebooted Windows and USM had not auto started (which usually happens). Tried manually launching UMS app and, again, nothing happened.

Couldn't see anything obvious in the Event Viewer.

I then re-installed USM 9.8.0 and used the 'fresh install' option.

Everything now working as expected. So, not really sure what caused the install glitch but everything seems fine now.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

chickyboom wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:09 am "Fixed Windows installer not adding a Windows Firewall exception for the service"

This is true, but forgot to remove it on uninstall. :)
Good catch, I've fixed that now :)
Icebear wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:54 pm Hi guys,
great work with this new version. I follow you since a few years now, and your are the best out here ! Thanks a lot for your time and effort !

I have a small question : is it possible to compile or launch UMS under a Synology NAS environment ?

Best Regards,
Thanks for your kind words! Sorry but I don't have any experience with that environment. If you figure something out, it would be awesome if you could add information to our Wiki to help others https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... erver/wiki
elpenor wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 am I just made an account to thank you for this great software. I use and recommend it for many years, i even made a mini review on a local forum. I wish i was able to donate more and more often.

It is the only DLNA server that has all the features i need and is able to stream high bit rate movies flawlessly on my local lan. This version fixed all my problems with my new Samsung TV which is great because i had to manually mux external subtitles before.

Thank you!
I'm very happy we could fix that bug, we have been focusing on that lately in the leadup to v10. Thanks for posting! :)
chichan wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:23 pm Hi,
I confirmed in the Version 9.7.2 released announcement thread that there is no longer a warning from the Windows OS when launching the installer. Thanks for sorting this out.

However, I did come across an issue with the installation of 9.8.0 which I'll document below.

After launching the 9.8.0 executable on my Win 10 OS it stopped to inform me that the java process was still active. I quit UMS and the installation completed without any issues. So far, so good (I assume this is expected behaviour).

After the installation had completed I noticed the UMS icon was no longer present in the system tray. I assumed that once the 9.8.0 install had completed, UMS would be restarted but this didn't seem to have happened. I launched the USM App but nothing happened. Rebooted Windows and USM had not auto started (which usually happens). Tried manually launching UMS app and, again, nothing happened.

Couldn't see anything obvious in the Event Viewer.

I then re-installed USM 9.8.0 and used the 'fresh install' option.

Everything now working as expected. So, not really sure what caused the install glitch but everything seems fine now.
Hmm, that's an interesting issue. One possible explanation is that you had unknowingly installed the Windows service by clicking that button in the GUI
chichan

Post by chichan »

SubJunk wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:08 amHmm, that's an interesting issue. One possible explanation is that you had unknowingly installed the Windows service by clicking that button in the GUI
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that explains it as I haven't been into the GUI in weeks, maybe months and UMS has always started fine on reboot of the OS. It probably just needed a fresh install to clean away the cobwebs :D

It's been behaving perfectly fine since this incident so maybe it was just one of those things. Will keep an eye on it and report back if anything strange occurs. Thanks again.