Version 6.0.0-a1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 6.0.0-a1 is released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

This release adds actions when media has been fully played and improves accuracy of timers on the Status tab.

Note: This is an alpha version, which means the feature list is incomplete and may be unstable. Use at your own risk.

Download:

Windows
Linux
OS X

Note: These unstable releases are for versions of Java from 7 upwards, but we will continue to release all stable versions in Java 7 and 8 variations.

Changes since 5.3.1:
  • General:
    • Added "Fully played action" setting to control what UMS does with media that has been fully played. The options are:
      • Do nothing
      • Add an overlay to the thumbnail (default)
      • Hide the file
      • Move the file to a different folder
      • Move the file to the recycle/trash bin
    • Added "Thumbnails" renderer config option, to specify whether the renderer can display thumbnails
    • The Status tab updates when media is fast-forwarded or rewound
    • Audio and image thumbnails are output at consistent dimensions
  • Renderers:
    • Improved Status tab display for Panasonic TVs
  • Languages:
    • Synchronized translations with Crowdin
knaledge

Re: Version 6.0.0-a1 is released

Post by knaledge »

Are these versions no longer java-specific? That is, I have Java 8 installed (OS X) but the link provided in your OP doesn't seem to indicate which version this was built for.

Also, just out of curiosity - is Java required for any particular aspect? What would be left over, as-is (more or less) if Java were not part of the equation? Just something I've always wondered about UMS/PMS.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

knaledge wrote:Are these versions no longer java-specific? That is, I have Java 8 installed (OS X) but the link provided in your OP doesn't seem to indicate which version this was built for.
These unstable releases are for versions of Java from 7 upwards, but we will continue to release all stable versions in Java 7 and 8 variations.
knaledge wrote:Also, just out of curiosity - is Java required for any particular aspect? What would be left over, as-is (more or less) if Java were not part of the equation? Just something I've always wondered about UMS/PMS.
The program is written in Java, so without it nothing would work.
knaledge

Post by knaledge »

SubJunk wrote:
knaledge wrote:Are these versions no longer java-specific? That is, I have Java 8 installed (OS X) but the link provided in your OP doesn't seem to indicate which version this was built for.
These unstable releases are for versions of Java from 7 upwards, but we will continue to release all stable versions in Java 7 and 8 variations.
knaledge wrote:Also, just out of curiosity - is Java required for any particular aspect? What would be left over, as-is (more or less) if Java were not part of the equation? Just something I've always wondered about UMS/PMS.
For a real answer: why Java? Other DLNA apps/servers don't use Java and seem just as capable (for core functions) - so I'll ask again: why is Java being used? Is it just somehow preferable to X?

Another unanswered question: Is version 6 no longer Java-version-specific? You pasted exactly what was written above - so skirting pedantic, why not just support 8 and only 8? Or, is there any reason that these are packaged as 7, 8 separately when it seemingly does not matter for the end-user?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

knaledge wrote:
SubJunk wrote:
For a real answer: why Java? Other DLNA apps/servers don't use Java and seem just as capable (for core functions) - so I'll ask again: why is Java being used? Is it just somehow preferable to X?
There are several advantages of Java over certain other languages. It's nice to be using a language that is under active development and improvement, and that runs on all major operating systems without needing to write much OS-specific code, it has lots of libraries which again are under active development which allows us to not re-invent the wheel much, in some ways its memory-management is handy, the list could go on.
knaledge wrote:Another unanswered question: Is version 6 no longer Java-version-specific? You pasted exactly what was written above - so skirting pedantic, why not just support 8 and only 8? Or, is there any reason that these are packaged as 7, 8 separately when it seemingly does not matter for the end-user?
I'm trying to guess what is unclear about what I wrote in the original post: we release unstable (alpha and beta versions) for our minimum Java requirement, which right now is Java 7, and our stable releases get Java version-specific releases.
Some users are stuck on Java 7 (and some are even stuck on Java 6 which is why we supported it for a long time after it was discontinued) so we don't want to alienate those users, or even to force Java 7 users to update to Java 8 if they would rather not do that, for any number of reasons.
Java 8 releases can be slightly faster and smaller than Java 7 releases and the code is a bit nicer.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Thanks for the release!
SubJunk wrote:Added "Fully played action" setting to control what UMS does with media that has been fully played.
Does fully played mean "absolutely 100% of the file" or is it a lower percentage? (ie I rarely watch the titles at the end of a movie, but consider it as watched already. In fact, Netflix seems to follow a similar criteria to consider it watched, no need to get to the very end)
Thanks again!
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Good question Wolfgan and thanks :) by default it's 92%, which is the value we got to after looking at a few movies with long credits. It has been working well for me so far and feedback is welcomed for all of this feature
NeoCrosS

Post by NeoCrosS »

is it possible to put something like this http://1fkd752qwz9x28kb2et9l1e5.wpengin ... -mark1.png in the corner of the Thumbnail for the Fully watched Files?

It would be awesome if we could set whatever image we wanted (respecting the standard size) to be used as Thumbnail for watched files.

This alpha is working greatly, thanks for the job.

:)
pipin

Post by pipin »

Thanks for the release.

But can't see any overlay after playing videos on both my samsung tvs.
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

NeoCrosS wrote:is it possible to put something like this http://1fkd752qwz9x28kb2et9l1e5.wpengin ... -mark1.png in the corner of the Thumbnail for the Fully watched Files?

It would be awesome if we could set whatever image we wanted (respecting the standard size) to be used as Thumbnail for watched files.

This alpha is working greatly, thanks for the job.

:)
That's a good idea :)
pipin wrote:Thanks for the release.

But can't see any overlay after playing videos on both my samsung tvs.
Yeah renderers have their quirks and Samsung TVs are especially quirky, it would be great to get some logs for it