Announcements about Universal Media Server
Madoka

Re: Version 3.0.0 Alpha 1 is released

Post by Madoka »

Oh, cool.
Impee

Post by Impee »

Once again thanks for this great software and the new features. I really enjoy it for several hours a week!

I have a question about the new feature "Added VLC video transcoding".

I have VLC 2.0.5 on my machine and, according to the logs, VLC is recognized by UMS. However, it is disabled on the transcoding tab (red circle) and i can't find a way to enable it.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Impee.
Regards,
Impee.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You can enable and disable engines by selecting them and clicking the "Enable/disable a transcoding engine" button down the bottom. VLC is disabled by default because while VLC is a great player, it has lots of bugs with transcoding that make it less reliable than MEncoder or FFmpeg
RavenFire

Post by RavenFire »

So far it's been working great for me! No complaints connecting to it from my PS3!
Raker13

Post by Raker13 »

Thank you again for the time and effort you put in to continually improve the UMS.

I know this is an alpha version and I have noticed some things that I wonder could be improved or changed.
It has crashed on my OPPO 93 twice. The first time I did not check if the buffer ran out during a movie or the program crashed, the movie stopped during a climatic scene and returned to the file structure page. The other crash occurred during paging back to the main file selection page. A system lockup. No biggie. Reboot the OPPO and off we go again. These crashes occurred while streaming content while transcoding. I have a powerful system with 8 cores and a wired connection. Overall, the program seems to be working great. I did increase my buffer size to 300 or 400 and have no other crashes since. If it was my buffer, I do not know why it ran out with the system I have.

The other item I noticed, which I hope can be changed, is the resume feature. It works, but the resume file is outside of the transcode folder. My OPPO 93 will not stream MPEGS unless they are transcoded. If the resume file is outside of the transcode folder I cannot use it while streaming. Can you put the resume file into the transcode folder?

Your efforts are always appreciated.
SmokeyPSD

Post by SmokeyPSD »

I attempted to use the alpha but I couldn't get it to launch effectively without a computer restart. It had something to do with the allocated memory and java not working right for what it's worth I think.
afzoo3ums

Post by afzoo3ums »

Hi guys.

You provided a link here for us to test on the Mac, which says it's "(10.6+, Intel)". However it refuses to launch on my Mac. Seems to be the 64-bit only, Java 7 version. Can you please also build us the old way which works with all the Macs, including my 32-bit one ? Many of us re-use our older Macs for HTPC duties. Stick em in a corner somewhere. Thanks. Looked everywhere else in your sourceforge downloads sections for the right build. Couldn't find it.

Oh wait... found a page in the issues tracker. That's the one ---> http://code.google.com/p/universal-medi ... tail?id=63
MetalHead-666

Post by MetalHead-666 »

When can we expect a newer version ?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Very soon :)