Java 8

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Triplefun

Java 8

Post by Triplefun »

Is there a Java8 download for 6.7.1 or is it no longer relevant?
Triplefun

Re: Java 8

Post by Triplefun »

I am running ums on server 2012 as a service. 6.7.1 will not load (error 1) whereas the java8 version of previous builds HD no issues.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@Triplefun If you've issue, open an issue report in the "General Help and Support" section of this forum, with your full trace log attachment.

Thank you for your understanding.
gideond

Post by gideond »

Triplefun wrote:I am running ums on server 2012 as a service. 6.7.1 will not load (error 1) whereas the java8 version of previous builds HD no issues.
You are not alone having issues with the new builds. Since I updated from the Java 8 specific version I can no longer playback m4a files through my receiver without getting an error "unable to play" on the receiver. I had this issue in the past running the default download (java 7 version) on a machine with Java 8 installed. Switching to the Java 8 build fixed it. The new universal build is now having the same issues as before. Files play fine through PLEX and MP3s still play fine in UMS. I've submitted a topic about the issue as well.
devJarrod

Post by devJarrod »

Java 8 build 141 broke it for me.
I rolled back to Java 8 Build 131 and its working again normally.

with 141, my devices would no longer find the server. In the log there was also no information that a connection was even being attempted.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

devJarrod if your OS is Windows this could be because the Windows firewall is not set to enable the new Java version to communicate to the network. Please go back to the Java 8 build 141, disable firewall and test it. If it works you should either not use firewall or set it to allow the Java to go to the network.
devJarrod

Post by devJarrod »

got it working now.
There was a very, very long list of "Java" allowed in the Firewall, but each one had to be opened manually to see exactly which version it was for.

In the end, 141 (and now 144) were set to private allowed, but not public.
I recently started using a VPN which is setting my connection to public, so this combination of issues was causing UMS not to show up on the devices.

All working fine now.