Can some one please suggest a cheap set up for me?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Azrayl

Can some one please suggest a cheap set up for me?

Post by Azrayl »

I have old equipment. A 10 year old laptop running windows vista and an old CRT TV without HDMI hookups and I don't have the budget to replace them. (though I could probably get a HDMI to RCA converter)

I've used UMS (and PS3 MS before it) for a few years now to stream my TV shows from my laptop to my TV via my XBOX 360. But I think my 360 just died on me. I never really played games on it anyway and only really used it for watching my TV shows. So now I need something new, preferably cheaper than buying a new console.

(I also use UMS and VLC to stream files from my laptop to my smartphone or tablet).

I've briefly looked into chromecast or a roku, but I'm not sure either of those will do quite what I'm looking for. They seem to be more geared towards web apps like Netflix and I'm looking for something that will let me browse my library across several hard drives. And while it's would be feasible to control everything from my laptop (ie mouse and keyboard) I'd rather something with a remote and on (TV)screen menu, or an app I can install on my smartphone to use it as a remote to search my library off my laptop.

Can anyone suggest a good set up for what I have to work with?
Thanks in advance.
icenlord

Re: Can some one please suggest a cheap set up for me?

Post by icenlord »

I am in a very similar boat to you, I want to replace a dead ps3 as the device for my mom to connect to my UMS server (most of my stuff is bluray ripped into hevc as well). the new rokus dont do ethernet, and im skeptical about chromecasts etc. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
atamariya

Re: Can some one please suggest a cheap set up for me?

Post by atamariya »

Try Raspberry Pi with Kodi or OSMC.