REALLY basic help. WTF is going on??

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
boowho

REALLY basic help. WTF is going on??

Post by boowho »

Been trying to set up a media server at home, but what a fight it has been!!

I have tried several different servers (UMS, KODI, others) and several different clients.

I've tried SMB, NFS and uuNp, all to no avail. This seems like it should be a pretty basic process, but damn sure not for me.

On some server software the videos play perfect LOCALLY, but as soon as I try streaming thru my Intranet, they either don't play at all or have a myriad of problems.

I get errors like instead of the .ISO showing up, I get individual files like title 1, title 2, etc.... Yes, I know some will say ditch .VOB and go with .mkv but AFAIK plex is the only one that does NOT support DVD .iso and I like the menuing system of native DVDs.

Is this enough info for some expert to say "AHA!! you forgot this or that" or am I really out in the weeds on this and the troubleshooting will be monumental.???
squadjot

Re: REALLY basic help. WTF is going on??

Post by squadjot »

Hi

Could you create the question again in the General Help and Support-forum?

The best way to get help is to create logfiles which will contain info about your device and the files you're trying to play.
Read more about how to create and submit log files: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556

Edit: Regarding playing DVD's through DLNA, i don't think you should expect things like DVD menus and stuff to work. I would expect a folder structure like you describe.
boowho

Re: REALLY basic help. WTF is going on??

Post by boowho »

Thanks for the reply and a huge apology for not responding sooner.

I'm pretty sure my local router does not have the "horse power" do what I'm trying.

Will be trying a gigabit router in the near future.