DVD VIDEO_TS directories

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
tomaz

DVD VIDEO_TS directories

Post by tomaz »

I have some of my video DVDs stored on my server in the form of a VIDEO_TS directory which contains the various files ({VIDEO_TS,VTS_nn_m}.{IFO,VOB,BUP}). I've used DVD Player.app to play these on my Mac in the past, and they seamlessly play as a single video.

When I make these files available to UMS in order to view them on my TV, each TitleSet shows up on my TV's browser as a separate video. I have not yet succeeded in getting any of these videos to play, but it seems that when I do, these will continue to appear as separate videos and I will have to play each of them separately. As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid this is to re-encode each VIDEO_TS directory into a single video file first using some transcoder. Am I correct? Neither option (of either having to view TitleSets separately, or having to re-encode the DVDs first) seems ideal - the first is clunky, and the second involves re-encoding the video, which is time consuming, takes up additional space on the hard drive and possibly it may be tricky to figure out how to do this without losing quality. Is there any reason why supporting on-the-fly transcoding of VIDEO_TS into a seamless single video file is not possible? Is it difficult to implement? Has a policy decision been made to not implement it? Or have I missed something and it is already implemented?

The second thing re. these rips that I don't understand is where does one put the album art for the DVD. Normally, if a file a.mkv exists and a file a.mkv.cover.jpg exists, the second file is treated as the album art for the first. How do I name the album art file for the DVD and where do I put it? I have all my VIDEO_TS directories inside a DVD_VIDEO directory inside a <movie-name>.dvd directory.

Thank you.