Thanks for great DLNA Server

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
UnknownVT

Thanks for great DLNA Server

Post by UnknownVT »

My review -

Excellent - much better than the DLNA server of Windows Media Player/Center.

Very fast browsing - so that any addition to an included folder is available virtually instantly without having to wait for libraries to be scanned.
This single feature makes it much better than other media servers I've used - including even the very popular Plex and XBMC.

No problems with "classification" of media - WMP often mis-classifies media to "Other Media" so they become unavailable to receiving device.

Trancoding - can play media on devices that may not support particular format - including displaying external subtitles.

Simple elegant and WORKS!

Thanks!
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Thanks for great DLNA Server

Post by SharkHunter »

UnknownVT wrote: Very fast browsing - so that any addition to an included folder is available virtually instantly without having to wait for libraries to be scanned.
This single feature makes it much better than other media servers I've used - including even the very popular Plex and XBMC.
Personally this my UMS killer feature. Some claims it's bad some claims it's good.
Thx for the kind words
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
DeFlanko

Re: Thanks for great DLNA Server

Post by DeFlanko »

Its threads like this that hit home and give us all that feel good feeling.

I personally can't thank our fan/user base enough they're the driving force to making the product better.

So this is me saying "No sir.. thank you... "
Dypsis

Re: Thanks For A Great Media Server

Post by Dypsis »

I have just discovered this great Media Server.
Lots of great improvements and fixes.

I have tried so many media servers, and they all seem to have one or two annoying bugs.
I even tore my hair out trying to get PS3 Media Server working correctly.

But, so far, Universal Media Server is running just fine.
And the dreaded double subtitle bug that I was getting with PS3 Media Server is gone in Universal Media Server. :)

I have NOT tested whether Windows sleep prevention works yet. ;)

Just one thing that I would would suggest.
Change the default port from 5001 to 5002 or something else, because if you also have PS3 Media Server running, it conflicts.