Does UMS 4.0 work with the PS4?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
paulinacio1991

Re: Does UMS 4.0 work with the PS4?

Post by paulinacio1991 »

SharkHunter wrote:Ok I'll do a merge. Hopefully tonight. You have to build yourself (use UMSBuilder perhaps).
This is the real stuff no nice stuff like installers and such ease of use tools.
can't wait to test it out xD Just wondering... how will we know when the Branch 4.1.0 is updated with this change?? Thanks for all the awesome work you guys are doing :D
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

paulinacio1991 wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Ok I'll do a merge. Hopefully tonight. You have to build yourself (use UMSBuilder perhaps).
This is the real stuff no nice stuff like installers and such ease of use tools.
can't wait to test it out xD Just wondering... how will we know when the Branch 4.1.0 is updated with this change?? Thanks for all the awesome work you guys are doing :D
Most likely you'll know when I'll say it's ready here in a post :)
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

YES!!!!!
I think i cracked it!!! With some inspiration from infidel I finally got "all" (at least my stuttering video plus one of the others) to work at the same time!
The trick was to get ffmpeg to resize it to fit the player size in the browser! My hunch is that the browser player is not that good at resizing (it should have downsized the 1280x720 video to 720x404 which it couldn't do without stuttering).
So now I'll just need to "productify" and commit :)
Will be done tonight (I hope again).
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Ok party people. Now the 4.1.0 branch has been updated with a "working" html5 ogg transcode version. I've tried it with a bunch of videos and both chrome and ff and it works the same for both now.
A lot of new config options has creeped in:
1) web_size,web_height and web_width allows you to control the size of the player size.The web_size should be in format 720x400 (note the x). web_height and web_width are plain numbers
2) web_flash if set to true everything will be in flash
3) web_chrome if set to true and you're using chrome (but only then) I'll use a trick and transcode to matroska instead of ogg. Chrome can handle that don't know if it is better but who cares? It's cool :)

When playing you'll see a flash button which allows you to force flash playback (if it doesn't work this normally does).
I don't have an infinite video library to test with so if a video fails pls look a the mediainfo data (post it here maybe) and we'll see if we can solve that.

If this works well (meaning most videos play) then this can be backported to the 4.0 branch.
So happy testing!

/happy and a little proud SharkHunter
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

I wasn't sure why the web interface was being added, but THIS is a great reason! I can't test it till we get back from Dragoncon next week, but I'll be sure to revisit this when we get back.

Hail Hydra.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Some small notes.
1) Don't try and use this on your cell phone the bw is not enough.
2) This doesn't work on iOS devices (using Safari). Safari doesn't support OGG (and no flash, and no WEBM) so blame apple.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

I added 2 fixes this morning.
1) Solves the problem with low speed devices.
2) Does a trick with the subtitles. They can now either be "burned" or fetched out of band. Control with cfg option web_subtitles_transcoded. Default is false

Now I tried with my cellphone and Chrome on it can't play my videos (even after the speed fix). However running ff on the same device works like a charm.
So always run ff it works best...
paulinacio1991

Post by paulinacio1991 »

SharkHunter wrote:Now I tried with my cellphone and Chrome on it can't play my videos (even after the speed fix). However running ff on the same device works like a charm.
So always run ff it works best...
I tried using the new updated version of 4.1.0 on PS4 and it seems as if you are very close to getting it to work. I get the standard HTML5 player that is on PS4 but when I try and click play it doesn't respond :?: I bet if you successfully got it to work on Mobile Browsers, then it could possibly work on PS4 since most, if not all mobile video sites seem to work on PS4. I did try and play some files on my Chrome Browser and they worked but seemed to stutter? The format was both MP4 and AVi that I tried and both seem to not buffer well... this could possibly be a issue on my end tho, and not with UMS 4.1.0
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

This could be the reason why it doesn't work on ps4
https://html5test.com/compare/browser/playstation4.html

In short ps4 doesn't support ogg. It only supports mp4. Which we haven't had any success in transcoding to.
paulinacio1991

Post by paulinacio1991 »

SharkHunter wrote:This could be the reason why it doesn't work on ps4
https://html5test.com/compare/browser/playstation4.html

In short ps4 doesn't support ogg. It only supports mp4. Which we haven't had any success in transcoding to.
Have you to a look at how Plex Transocodes its videos via the Web interface?? Plex is capable transcoding video into HTML5 and seems to work great on PS4 but I much prefer UMS because it provides much more in terms of ways to stream :D I also really enjoy the new UPNP/Bump since my Samsung TV is capatible and it works great :D Keep up the awesome work ;)