Streaming over PS Vita Browser?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Balmung

Streaming over PS Vita Browser?

Post by Balmung »

I wonder I could not find anything about Playstation Vita Support, because I found this Video on YouTube (but with no Infos how he made it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkI3K8AYmE

It seems not perfect, because the Buttons didn't work and it is not Fullscreen (Bar on Top) like on YouTube Videos on PS Vita, but it shows that it works.

Have tried it by myself but I can't get it to run yet. All works but it can't play the Video.

Is trancoding supported over the Website Feature?
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Streaming over PS Vita Browser?

Post by SharkHunter »

The YT clip looks a bit cool :).
What works over the web interface (for ps4/ps vita) is to have your video in a streamable format (read mp4).
Now for regular browsers UMS transcodes other formats to ogg which is supported by Firefox,Chrome etc. We have experimented quite heavily to try and stream to mp4 which is supported by the sony browsers but it has never worked.

Short answer: If your file is an mp4 it will work on your vita otherwise probably not.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
Balmung

Post by Balmung »

Than its useless for me, the Goal was not to need to reencode my Videos before I could watch it, where over 90% is not in mp4. If I need to reencode all stuff than it's better I use Sony's CM Tool.

Vita needs mp4 with aac Audio.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

The web interface is a complement to the DLNA part. Now Sony has no DLNA support on ps4/vita which if they had would most likely work with UMS. Then Sony has a crap browser which doesn't support flash or ogg. So one might blame sony for poor format support.
Without the web interface you can watch 0 videos with your vita/ps4 with it you can watch some. I think some is better than 0.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
Balmung

Post by Balmung »

That is not completely correct, over Sonys PC Software you can, but only Videos that are already in the correct format.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... llcma.html

You can start the Video App on Vita and select a Video from the PC and it directly play it.

But Sony says on PS TV FAQ:
Will PS TV support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The Network Media Player (coming soon to PS TV and PS Vita) can be used to access media servers over a network. The Network Media Player can be used to view photos and stream music and videos from a media server located on your home network. You can also copy photos, music and video files from the media server to your system.
Source: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/ ... on-tv-faq/

But who knows what Sony means about "soon". Vita should get DLNA since Release. ^^

But no Word to PS4.