Why is UMS for Java 7 still the default download option?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Raident

Why is UMS for Java 7 still the default download option?

Post by Raident »

Java 7 is EOL as of April 14. Since UMS 5.1.2 came out one day after that, shouldn't UMS for Java 8 now be offered as the default option?

Granted, Java is probably the most insecure (legitimate) piece of software that you can install on your computer anyway even when it's fully up to date (Flash might be worse - and I stress might), but still...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Why is UMS for Java 7 still the default download option?

Post by SubJunk »

AFAIK Java 7 is EOL at the end of April so there's still about 2 weeks - there was actually an update posted today that brings security updates to both JRE 7 and 8.
Our default download option will always err on the side of caution so I don't know when it will change to Java 8. In any case there is no advantage to using the Java 8 build of UMS over the Java 7 build, only a slightly smaller filesize. It's not faster, stabler, more secure, or anything else.
wiegleyj

Re: Why is UMS for Java 7 still the default download option?

Post by wiegleyj »

My understanding is that is the java browser plugin that is insecure. The JRE itself, which is what runs UMS, is just fine. Thus Java provides a ubiquitous platform independent language on which to build a *universal* media server.