Samsung UN55D6000 not playing anyting unless "No Encoding"

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
wiegleyj

Samsung UN55D6000 not playing anyting unless "No Encoding"

Post by wiegleyj »

Please help me get my Samsung UN55D6000 working with less hassle.

I started by using UMS as is and it selected the Samsung-CD.conf profile.

When I selected videos to play the TV would say "loading" for about 60 seconds and then fail with "Not Supported File Format". This happens with almost every video I select in my library.

If I go to the #--Transcode--# folder for any of these videos and start playing the "[No encoding]" version they start right up and play just fine.

I figured UMS was just guessing the formats my TV supports wrong. (especially since minidlna streamed all this videos without any problem; from this i suspected that maybe UMS didn't understand my supported formats correctly and thought the videos aren't a supported format where minidlna never attempts any transcoding). So I went to the Sony manual for this TV and tried my best to define the supported formats identical to those listed in the "Supported Video Formats" table on pages 218-220 (included in the attached zip files.) But this still didn't help. I seem to get the same broken behavior still... "Not Supported File Format" on the standard play link but with #--Transcode--#/[No Encoding] everything seems to play fine.

Why is UMS still providing an incompatible format? Why is it even transcoding at all? How can I fix this and get the best possible and simplest experience?

I have attached a ZIP file with all the information I think might help:
SamSung UN55D6000 support info.zip
(113.21 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

UMS.conf: The basic configuration file.
Samsung-UN55D6000.conf: The renderer configuration file used by this TV.
un55d6000formats.pdf: the pages of the manual showing supported formats
upnpinfo.txt: The information of formatted formats the TV reports through Device Spy
mediainfo.txt: the mediainfo reported for a test video.
debug_startup.log: the debug trace output from starting up UMS prior to any video play requests.
fail.log: the debug trace log info printed from attempting to play the example video through the standard link.
noencoding.log: the debug trace log info printed from successfully playing the example video using its [No Encoding] transcode link.

Please help me, I'm going nuts. I think if I can get this sorted out I won't have to switch back to minidlna (and I can get both my Samsung and Sharp TVs working at the same time; something I couldn't do under minidlna)
michaelt

Re: Samsung UN55D6000 not playing anyting unless "No Encoding"

Post by michaelt »

wiegleyj wrote:I started by using UMS as is and it selected the Samsung-CD.conf profile.

When I selected videos to play the TV would say "loading" for about 60 seconds and then fail with "Not Supported File Format". This happens with almost every video I select in my library.
I have a 55C8000 using the same profile with a similar problem. It was random and could not id the cause. I recently found the(?) problem: the bitrate test is failing and marking all my videos as "isIncompatible" (log message "File \"{}\" will not be streamed because the bitrate is too high." is seen).

Found a few things which may have contributed but opted to fix by deselecting General Configuration->Network->Maximum …->Uncheck[Use Automatic …], set value=90 and setting Samsung-CD.conf "MaxVideoBitrateMbps" to 80 (my videos max media.Bitrate clocks in at 39+Mb). This works for me. No code changes required.
MacPro5,1 - 2.8 GHz, 32 GB, 20TB, OS X 10.11.6,
. . . . and a few others.
Samsung UN55C8000
Home Theater (WIP): OS X based now, dedicated Linux later.
wiegleyj

Post by wiegleyj »

Yeah, but that's not my problem.

ANYTHING that goes through transcoding doesn't play. Nothing.

I'll attach a better debug log.... I think ffmpeg is failing to do its job. Somebody please parse this log file and tell me what the hell is failing and why my TV says "Not Supported File format" for everything that goes through ffmpeg.

And I don't think it's actually a file format problem, from what I can see ffmpeg isn't producing anything because I get a bunch of

Code: Select all

DEBUG 04:02:33.614 [nioEventLoopGroup-3-1] External input stream instance is null... sounds not good, waiting 500ms
so I think there is no stream being generated from ffmpeg or ffmpeg has otherwise failed to do its job.
Attachments
request.log
(37.06 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
wiegleyj

Post by wiegleyj »

Sorry... I should follow directions if I expect decent help. Here's a zip pack of the TRACE debug output as requested.

Would who understands transcoding and ffmpeg please educate me as to why ums and my Samsung UN55D6000 will not play ANY files that go through transcoding?
I would love to be able to fix this as I enjoy watching a lot of foreign films but I speak zero foreign languages.

Thank you.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
wiegleyj

Post by wiegleyj »

And nobody knows why...

Why does it seem to work when UMS is started as root?
wiegleyj

Post by wiegleyj »

Still no help. Still no ability to transcode any files with subtitles. ffmpeg still seems to be unable to do itsjob.

I'm the only person that enjoys foreign movies and attempts to use UMS.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

wiegleyj wrote:Still no help. Still no ability to transcode any files with subtitles. ffmpeg still seems to be unable to do itsjob.

I'm the only person that enjoys foreign movies and attempts to use UMS.
I'm using an H6400 HDTV and no issues whatsoever with UMS... most likely the Smart Hub of both TVs have different capabilities in terms of formats accepted?
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

wiegleyj wrote:Why does it seem to work when UMS is started as root?
So it's working when UMS is started as root?

From your logs I can see some fontconfig-related errors:

Code: Select all

DEBUG 04:38:13.187 [ffmpeg64-1-2] Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
DEBUG 04:38:13.188 [ffmpeg64-1-2] Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
DEBUG 04:38:13.188 [ffmpeg64-1-2] Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
wiegleyj

Post by wiegleyj »

Bah, transcoding seems to work fine now. But it transcodes EVERYTHING. even things that clearly don't need it. I hate this.