Tips for adjusting transcoding settings?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
smirk

Tips for adjusting transcoding settings?

Post by smirk »

Hi, my UMS setup and my PS3 are connected via Powerline adapters, at a theoretical speed of 200 Mbps (actual speed is probably much, much lower). Most of the time, everything looks great, but when there's a lot of difficult-to-compress motion (especially static, like the beginning of an HBO show) then the picture and audio stutter.

How should I go about adjusting this? General Configuration > Maximum Bandwidth in Mb/s is set to "90", and Transcoding Settings > Transcoding Quality (both MPEG-2 and H.264) are set to "Automatic (Wireless)".

If I'm reading the debug logs right, videos are being transcoded to MPEG-2; would H.264's improved compression help resolve this? Is there a way to tell UMS to feed the PS3 with H.264 instead of MPEG-2? Or what other settings should be changed to help with this?

Thank you!
ExSport

Re: Tips for adjusting transcoding settings?

Post by ExSport »

You mentioned global settings set in GUI but every renderer has own settings which overrides global ones.
So check your renderer for "MaxVideoBitrateMbps" and "TranscodeVideo".
DefaultRenderer.conf should help you with possible vaules.
Btw. transcoding to x264 is very CPU intensive task so it depends on your system if it is realtime encoding possible (for SD and also HD as 720p can be ok but 1080p is much harder task)
smirk

Post by smirk »

Thanks @ExSport. My "Sony-PlayStation3.conf" file doesn't have either "MaxVideoBitrateMbps" or "TranscodeVideo" in it, so it sounds like it just uses default settings, then. Not sure if my computer is fast enough to transcode to h.264 or not... it's a Core i3 540 at 3.07 GHz.

Perhaps I'll play with the Transcoding Quality settings some more.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

smirk wrote:Hi, my UMS setup and my PS3 are connected via Powerline adapters, at a theoretical speed of 200 Mbps (actual speed is probably much, much lower). Most of the time, everything looks great, but when there's a lot of difficult-to-compress motion (especially static, like the beginning of an HBO show) then the picture and audio stutter.

How should I go about adjusting this? General Configuration > Maximum Bandwidth in Mb/s is set to "90", and Transcoding Settings > Transcoding Quality (both MPEG-2 and H.264) are set to "Automatic (Wireless)".

If I'm reading the debug logs right, videos are being transcoded to MPEG-2; would H.264's improved compression help resolve this? Is there a way to tell UMS to feed the PS3 with H.264 instead of MPEG-2? Or what other settings should be changed to help with this?

Thank you!
You could try setting the maximum bandwidth option to lower like 80 or 70
layres

Post by layres »

removed
Last edited by layres on Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

is it possible to get videos that are encoded at 23.97 fps to play clear on a 50hz/60hz TV ? there's a lot of judder in shows.

i mean here in north america its pretty much the only thing we get 23.976 fps but we all have 50/60hz tvs. you'd think the big companies trying to force broadcasters to get in the 21st century and broadcast at 60fps was a good idea but i guess the old sailors don't like to be pushed. we have 4k with 1 broadcaster here but i doubt its at 50 or 60fps.

Anyway, so looking around in ums, i saw an expert section in the mencoder codec that we can type some code to force it to transcode the files with framerate == 23.976 :: -speed 1.042709376 -ofps 25

but it only works for x265 files and i think it speeds up the audio a bit just enough to make the actor's voices sound weird.

i was thinking since it's possible to gets smooth video from x265 files, why not x264 ?

Anyone got a line of code for x264 ?
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)