Does UMS play DTS-HD or Dobly True HD?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
rafaelbarriola@

Does UMS play DTS-HD or Dobly True HD?

Post by rafaelbarriola@ »

I tried with a couple mkv files and my receiver only flagged as DTS, using a PS3 and a PS4.

Thanks!
Raf
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Does UMS play DTS-HD or Dobly True HD?

Post by SubJunk »

UMS supports those formats, but it's up to the renderers if they support them. I think the PS3 does but PS4 doesn't, AFAIK.
rafaelbarriola@

I tried on the ps4 with not success as well, does it have to be on a specific coded or way, or any setting I need to set on UMS itself?
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

There is no support for HD audio on PS3 at least. This renderer doesn't support DTS via DLNA at all so UMS fakes audio by encapsulating it to PCM so PS3 redirects it to external receiver. But this trick is doable with non HD audio only! It means only DTS-core is used.
Also there is a problem with FFmpeg and MEncoder tools used which doesn't include DTS-HD decoder so these tools can't pass it to renderer. Only solution is native support of file by renderer so UMS sends file as is, without any "post-processing".
Btw. technically it is impossible to encapsulate HD audio so don't expect it in the future..at least when talking about PS3.
rafaelbarriola@

ExSport wrote:There is no support for HD audio on PS3 at least. This renderer doesn't support DTS via DLNA at all so UMS fakes audio by encapsulating it to PCM so PS3 redirects it to external receiver. But this trick is doable with non HD audio only! It means only DTS-core is used.
Also there is a problem with FFmpeg and MEncoder tools used which doesn't include DTS-HD decoder so these tools can't pass it to renderer. Only solution is native support of file by renderer so UMS sends file as is, without any "post-processing".
Btw. technically it is impossible to encapsulate HD audio so don't expect it in the future..at least when talking about PS3.
Thank you for the very detailed post, it answered all my question, I already found an alternative to when I play DTS HD or Dobly TrueHD, hope in the future we my have a solution :D

cheers
radamo

Post by radamo »

rafaelbarriola@ wrote:
ExSport wrote:There is no support for HD audio on PS3 at least. This renderer doesn't support DTS via DLNA at all so UMS fakes audio by encapsulating it to PCM so PS3 redirects it to external receiver. But this trick is doable with non HD audio only! It means only DTS-core is used.
Thank you for the very detailed post, it answered all my question, I already found an alternative to when I play DTS HD or Dobly TrueHD, hope in the future we my have a solution :D

cheers
What did you do to enable DTS-HD or Dolby True HD?
Rejpal

Post by Rejpal »

rafaelbarriola@ wrote:

cheers
Would you post your solution, please, I'm curious as well.