UMS interplay with Java is obnoxious

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
leonbloy

UMS interplay with Java is obnoxious

Post by leonbloy »

I find frankly obnoxious the way UMS deals with Java.

1. When you install it and start the program, and it doesn't find an appropiate (*) JRE in the path, it shows an umpleasant dialog box:
"UMS uses JRE 7.'+, it will now be downloaded and installed".
Hello? It WILL NOW be downloaded and installed? And you only give me an "OK" button (not even a "Cancel" button!)?? No choice, This is extremeley impolite.
This is my machine, you know, and I should be able to decide what I want to install. Worst, the download happens in the background, invisible to the user.

2. Perhaps a glitch with 6.0 beta: it says "JRE 7.0`+" but , if I have 7.0, it still downloads/install Java 8.0

3. My main point: UMS installation should understand that some users prefer to not have a JRE in the path, and it should let the user to manually specify an existing JRE. I'm a Java developer and it's essential for me to have several JRE in my machine, and it's essential for me that installing a program that require Java doesn't attempt to mess with that. That is impolite and dangerous. Practically any program that uses Java (for example, Eclipse) allows the user to specify (via command line and/or via configuration files) where an installed JRE is to be found. Some programs include their own JRE, (but then they don't pretend that that JRE is to be used as the default on the machine). No JAva program I know have this aggresive and unnaceptable behaviour, of forcibly downloading and installing (globally) a JRE in the machine.

Please, please, reconsider this.
Wolfgan

Re: UMS interplay with Java is obnoxious

Post by Wolfgan »

You have the option to launch UMS the old way via UMS.bat in the main app folder, just adjust your paths and you'll be all done.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )