Advice on how the cache works

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
chamelious

Advice on how the cache works

Post by chamelious »

A week or two ago I "built the cache", and thumbnails for all the stuff i had at the time remains, loading quickly on my renderers.

New content seems to have to load the thumbnails every time, indicating they're not being added to the cache. Do i have to manually reset the cache every so often to get new thumbnails added to it?

Thanks
valib
Developer

Re: Advice on how the cache works

Post by valib »

For me it works normally and the new content is stored in the cache. Please follow the viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556 and send the log.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

It is hard to search for original post from me on mobile device so only a hint.
There is a bug in UMS that file info and thumbnails are cached but until UMS is restarted it doesn't use cached thumbs and they are recreated for every folder refresh.
So going to folder with files will create thumbs. Playing the file....when it stops and renderer shows folder again, UMS recreates thumbs again. Going outside folder and back will recreate thumbs again.
I spotted this behaviour on my folder from video camera which creates folder with thousands of .ts files. Until I restarted UMS I saw thumbs are repeatedly recreated.
No-one still found the root cause unfortunately.
Edit: I think I already reported this issue on github.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

same here, every once in a while i have trouble with the cache, like a deleted file still shows up on my tv.

i restart the media app on my tv and it's still there.

So once in a while when i know a file is no longuer where i downloaded it, i have to restart ums or clear the cache and restart it for it to refresh the cache.

it might just be a time delay thing where ums doesn't notice right away and it takes a while to update the cache.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)