Brand new to this, please help

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
josh1095

Brand new to this, please help

Post by josh1095 »

Hello,
I have a sony smp-n200 media streamer that i had been using succesfully for quite a long time on windows 7. It was a bear to set up the streaming.....i remember cccp codec and something about haali etc.... distant memories now.

Anyway, i'm on windows 10 now and, as expected, am running into a lot of problems streaming to my media server. I found out about UMS and have installed it, uninstalled, reinstalled. Same w latest java. It sees my sony box and a chromecast
However i am unable to see anything on my sony. My pc is grayed out and i can't see UMS anywhere.

Anyone know where i'm screwing up? I'm looking to stream .mkv and .avi movies.
squadjot

Re: Brand new to this, please help

Post by squadjot »

Have you tried disabling windows firewall?
DJWolverine

Post by DJWolverine »

this may help,open UMS & under tab General Configuration uncheck Hide Advanced Options
close and restart UMS under Navigation/Share Settings many boxes can be unchecked as you
desire BUT in the Shared Folders section near the bottom you need to add the folders,drives
or directories where your files are stored....add as many as you like,then make sure that
each has a check mark in Include in New Media folder. Go to Status tab and Restart Server
and your media player should show up here,now when you start your media player it should
show any folders you've added....good luck
josh1095

Post by josh1095 »

squadjot wrote:Have you tried disabling windows firewall?
Yes, i completely disabled the firewall to rule that out. UMS sees my media streamer but my streamer doesn't see my pc or UMS.
josh1095

Post by josh1095 »

DJWolverine wrote:this may help,open UMS & under tab General Configuration uncheck Hide Advanced Options
close and restart UMS under Navigation/Share Settings many boxes can be unchecked as you
desire BUT in the Shared Folders section near the bottom you need to add the folders,drives
or directories where your files are stored....add as many as you like,then make sure that
each has a check mark in Include in New Media folder. Go to Status tab and Restart Server
and your media player should show up here,now when you start your media player it should
show any folders you've added....good luck

I'll check into this and report back. Thank you very much for the help, i have a feeling this is gonna be a long slog though!
If i could buy a streaming box that worked better i'd do it in a heartbeat. The sony box has been very good and transcodes mkvs natively, thus taking the load off my cpu/gpu. Had no issues with subtitles or anything but it was a nightmare to set up in windows 7 and it seems even tougher with 10
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

To help you we need you to follow the instruction at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556 at the General Help and Support forum. So your request should be made there not in the General Discussion