Questions about UMS

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
simtom

Questions about UMS

Post by simtom »

Hello,

I've been using UMS (and before that PS3 Media Server) a couple of years now but I still have some questions about the application. I'll list them below:

1. Is there any advantage of using FFmpeg or MEncoder? (The video files play perfectly without using these transcoding methods so I'm not sure why I would use them?)
2. I have both a PS3 and PS4, will the PS4 give better A/V quality?
3. What is the advantage of using Hardware Acceleration? (CPU: i7-4770K, GPU: GTX 750Ti, RAM: 16GB DDR3)

I'm asking these questions because I want to experience my movies in the best quality possible. (Note: I'm using a cabled network)

A big thank you goes to the developers who made this great application!

Kind regards,
Tomas
squadjot

Re: Questions about UMS

Post by squadjot »

Hi Tomas
1. Is there any advantage of using FFmpeg or MEncoder? (The video files play perfectly without using these transcoding methods so I'm not sure why I would use them?)
There's no advantage quality wise . Streaming your content directly without transcoding is preferable. Transcoding is an option you have to maximize compability (ie. if your player can't play the file)
Transcoding can also be necesary in certain scenarios regarding subtitles. (ie. your player does not support subtitles and/or video containing embedded subtitles). Depending on your subtitle settings , UMS will choose transcoding automatically if needed (default).
2. I have both a PS3 and PS4, will the PS4 give better A/V quality?
Not that i'm aware of, infact i think the PS3 is the better player of the two atm.
3. What is the advantage of using Hardware Acceleration? (CPU: i7-4770K, GPU: GTX 750Ti, RAM: 16GB DDR3)
Well...speed. But if you don't need to transcode your videos, then i don't think there's a noticeable difference.
simtom

Re: Questions about UMS

Post by simtom »

Hello squadjot,

thank you for answering to my questions. It looks like I was already using the correct settings :-)

Kind regards,
Tomas