please move away from FossHub

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
offline-server

please move away from FossHub

Post by offline-server »

You guys should read this, why Fosshub is a bad filehoster:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11974

Edit: And please don't only provide Fosshub server. SourceForge is crap as well but better then Fosshub.
The best thing is if you move to Github or Gitlab.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: please move away from FossHub

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the feedback, offline-server :) From what I can see in that link, they are just talking about the developer backend for Firefox, not anything that would affect our users. Is there a reason you don't like FossHub?

Edit: I have been a user of FossHub for months, since some of my favorite projects use it, and have never noticed a problem.
offline-server

Post by offline-server »

The Pale Moon dev write It fails to be usable in any Mozilla-based browser so can i ask which browser you use?
But okay if you have no problems with that site, okay.

Anyway i would like if you guys not only support Fosshub. And because you host your sourcecode on Github (which is great!) i would like to download the compiled files as well on Github.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I was a Firefox user since version 1.0 and used Pale Moon for a time, when Firefox started to seem very slow, and I eventually switched to Chrome which I'm much more happy with. I have tested the FossHub developer portal on Firefox though and it seems to be the same on both browsers.

I don't think GitHub has support for compiled files, unless they added it again recently. They removed it a couple of years ago.
offline-server

Post by offline-server »

Github supports compiled files.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Seems like there's a 25MB limit according to this. Maybe there's a way around it?

Edit: I found a way. Good to know that's an option. When GitHub removed the ability to host binaries over 25MB it was a shame, but I guess they were paving the way for this slightly different implementation
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

SubJunk wrote:Seems like there's a 25MB limit according to this. Maybe there's a way around it?

Edit: I found a way. Good to know that's an option. When GitHub removed the ability to host binaries over 25MB it was a shame, but I guess they were paving the way for this slightly different implementation
that sucks bro...
have you looked at Bitbucket from atlassian?
offline-server

Post by offline-server »

Fosshub get hacked: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... hell_read/

So please move away from this bad hoster.
Why you doesn't host it your self with SHA checksums (and GPG sig) on your own website over HTTPS ? This is then a lot more trustworthy for us users.
If you add other hosters as alternative or your own server as alternative, okay. But move away from fosshub :!:
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Websites get hacked and often don't let the public know about it, or don't even realise it has happened themselves, so I'm impressed with how Fosshub handled it.
They sent out an email to the project managers as soon as they knew about it and put the site into read only mode, then addressed the issue and reopened. I can't think of anything I would've done differently.
Darth Ed

Post by Darth Ed »

I've been trying to download 6.5.3 for over an hour now using Chrome. I've tried at least 7 times. The downloads all fail before it completes. Very frustrating. Months ago, I had the same problem downloading another 6.5.x version, too. I never had any problems downloading UMS from SourceForge....