Folder Limit

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
SharkHunter
Developer

Folder Limit

Post by SharkHunter »

There exists a rather weird (bad) limitation in the PS3 (and XBOX and possible other redners). The PS3 will only allow a folder depth (that is the number of folders that can be opened after each other) of 8. So if you stack more than 8 folder after each other you can't access the last once. Which of course is bad. The limitation is built in to the PS3 so it is not possible to get around it in a easy way. UMS has a folder limit workaround. The workaround must be enabled by adding "folder_limit=true" to your UMS.conf.
Once done you'll see a new folder at the top on your render called "Folder Limit". This folder is empty at start. When you browse around and hit the folder limit UMS will log it that you've hit it and it will add the point of where you hit the limit in the "Folder Limit" folder. Back out to the root and then you can continue browsing from there.
Last edited by SharkHunter on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
gambit

Re: Folder Limit

Post by gambit »

i added that to my ums.conf and dont see the folder limit, can this be a bug?
lastmoexit

Post by lastmoexit »

SharkHunter wrote:The workaround must be enabled by adding "folder_limit=true" to your UMS.conf.
this has no effect
gambit

Post by gambit »

at least i am not the only one, so its a bug and not misconfiguration on my part, hope this have this working soon
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

No you are rigth it seems a piece of code have fallen off in the mist of merges. I'll fix this...
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

Wouldn't this be a good feature to turn on in the default install?

I don't think I've hit the limit here yet, but I can see how easy it would be to do, and not have a clue why the files were not being displayed.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Gareee wrote:Wouldn't this be a good feature to turn on in the default install?

I don't think I've hit the limit here yet, but I can see how easy it would be to do, and not have a clue why the files were not being displayed.
So far it's been considered to have it off by default.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The reason to have it off by default is because it means having an extra folder and if the user doesn't know what the extra folder is there for it could look like a bug in the program. That was my reaction when I first saw that folder there before I looked in the logs and saw it was added on purpose :)
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

not that it matters much but I agree with the points made and ask a related question? How difficult would it be to add text that is shown when you open the folder explaining, in summary, what it is for. It could refer them to a file maybe? Just thoughts, definitely not a programmer. I see some of the screens that appear to play "something" that renders pre-formatted text on the screen when you select a specific button. Not sure that "pre-formatted" is necessary or accurate in the above sentence. *shrug*
Peace!