UMS Running on OS-X 10.8.3 With Java 1.7.0_21

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Optimus_prime

UMS Running on OS-X 10.8.3 With Java 1.7.0_21

Post by Optimus_prime »

Hi all you mac fans,
Before i let you in on some new work i've been doing to get Mac's upto date on the UMS Java 7 scene, it's been slow going getting this to work. I'm not normally a mac user and i don't even own a real mac (i think you guy's would call them Hackintosh's) but i can't let you go without.
So now for it, attached is two pictures with screenshots i've taken with UMS running on mac OS-X 10.8.3 on Java 1.7.0_21
The bad news is it weighs in at around 230mb because of not only ums but the fact we have to include JRE in with the build. But i'm hoping for another solution to work shortly.

I'll keep working on it for you guys and keep you posted.

How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
smirk

Re: UMS Running on OS-X 10.8.3 With Java 1.7.0_21

Post by smirk »

That's great!

I was just curious, what is the difficulty in getting UMS running on OS X? Is it a matter of different paths for temp directories, log files, etc. or something larger?
Optimus_prime

Re: UMS Running on OS-X 10.8.3 With Java 1.7.0_21

Post by Optimus_prime »

There's no issue getting UMS to work with Java 6 on Mac's just Java 7. Apple uses there own version of java written exclusively for them. Apple has long said they aren't going to support java past 6 so Oracle started writing there own version of java 7 for mac which has a problem. The App launcher for java 7 is written by Oracle doesn't allow you to set a "Working Directory" like Apples java 6 does. That run's into many problems with UMS as it needs that variable. Long story short i have a working version here (only coming in at 55MB which is good) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=866 which gets around this issue. Oracle have stated they will not support the "Working Directory" variable as they want programmers to utilise the /Users/<Username> directory on OS-X. If you want to know anymore please ask
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum