Filenames Instead of ID3 Tags

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
frogcollector06

Filenames Instead of ID3 Tags

Post by frogcollector06 »

How can I get UMS to display my mp3 filenames instead of id3 tags? It also sorts the files by tag, which is annoying.
Nadahar

Re: Filenames Instead of ID3 Tags

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think you can. If the tags are wrong, why don't you just correct them? Tags normally has much more accurate information not to mention that they have more information than filenames do.

There are loads of tagging software out there, than can automate tagging or make editing them quick and easy.
CZSK

Post by CZSK »

I have reverse problem. PS4 media player cant read ID tags. Any idea if UMS can trick the PS4 media player to read ID tags for the music files?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There's nothing UMS can do to make the PS4 read tags, but UMS use the "Title" from the tag as the name of an audio file, and I also think album and artist is used for grouping in the cache/media library.
frogcollector06

Post by frogcollector06 »

Nadahar wrote:I don't think you can. If the tags are wrong, why don't you just correct them? Tags normally has much more accurate information not to mention that they have more information than filenames do.

There are loads of tagging software out there, than can automate tagging or make editing them quick and easy.
I have thousands of mp3 files, and I have about half of them tagged correctly. Your solution doesn't work for me. My question was about having the option for UMS to show my files as their actual file names instead of the tags. Could this be added as to UMS an option in a later update?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

While it would be possible to display the file name instead of the tag title, it would create problems when sorting by artist or album for example. There might be other issues as well. Creating a parsing logic for filenames (to parse album, artist and title) would be hopeless as there are so many different syntaxes in use.

This isn't up to me though, if you'd like to submit a feature request please do so by creating a desciption of the feature here: https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ver/issues