have a renderer conf for VLC as a DLNA/UPnP client?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
JennieL

have a renderer conf for VLC as a DLNA/UPnP client?

Post by JennieL »

Hi,

I just installed UMS.

While setting it up, I'd like to use VLC as a DLNA renderer *client*.

I know UMS 'supports' VLC as an engine, but haven't found any info about using it as a renderer.

I'll eventually get to the standalone BluRay player across the house which I need to create a custom rendered client for (at the moment, not going so well).

As a start though, I'd like to get to know UMS locally, on my desktop machine, using VLC as a UPNP client.

Does anyone have a good/known working renderers/VLC.conf to share?

In case it matters, UMS's debug log shows it trying to connect as

Code: Select all

08-22 18:04:49  Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent: Linux/3.7.10-1.16-desktop, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.18 
mattgen88

Re: have a renderer conf for VLC as a DLNA/UPnP client?

Post by mattgen88 »

I am actually having the same problem.

VLC version 2.0.8
UMS version 2.6.5
OS version Ubuntu 13.04
Client and Server are on the same device
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

So i'm Downloading VLC 2.0.8 now... I'm curious on how you got it to talk back to UMS first...
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

DeFlanko wrote:So i'm Downloading VLC 2.0.8 now... I'm curious on how you got it to talk back to UMS first...
I tried it a while ago and it works, but it's not pretty not much reliable. From http://superuser.com/questions/191736/h ... lna-server :

[...] go to Tools → Preferences → All → Playlist → Services and Discovery, and enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

Then go to VLC main menu and click View → Playlist and scroll down to Local Network. Locate Universal Plug and Play and click on it.

A few moments later your media service should be shown on the main window to the right. If you click on it (or double click) then it will start showing you all the folders/files being served. Give it time as it took mine almost 30 seconds to show everything.
I hope it helps, Wolf.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Wolfgan wrote:
DeFlanko wrote:So i'm Downloading VLC 2.0.8 now... I'm curious on how you got it to talk back to UMS first...
I tried it a while ago and it works, but it's not pretty not much reliable. From http://superuser.com/questions/191736/h ... lna-server :

[...] go to Tools → Preferences → All → Playlist → Services and Discovery, and enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

Then go to VLC main menu and click View → Playlist and scroll down to Local Network. Locate Universal Plug and Play and click on it.

A few moments later your media service should be shown on the main window to the right. If you click on it (or double click) then it will start showing you all the folders/files being served. Give it time as it took mine almost 30 seconds to show everything.
I hope it helps, Wolf.

It Did!

In VLC 2.x you can skip the Tools process and directly go to View -> Playlist -> Local Network -> Universal Plug'n'Play to get the DLNA devices on your network listed and stream from them.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

08-25 11:25:58 Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent: 6.1.7601 2/Service Pack 1, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.18

and Nothing shows... I waited for over a minute to show the tree structure...I'm wondering how its calling the UPnP tree's...

its weird because this type of renderer should be able to play ANYTHING. So even if your default "unknown renderer" was set to PS3 settings... it should work.

Once i get some time i'll play with this.
invik

Post by invik »

Same here.
The tree is not showing.
Other DLNA server are fine though.
lesmikesell

Post by lesmikesell »

IOS VLC 2.2 is working nicely with serviio where most video is mp4 w/aac audio and doesn't need transcoding. But my first attempts at using UMS haven't worked. I can see the directory list but attempting to play blanks the screen and maybe after a few minutes a static image will show up. What does it need to work as well as serviio - or at least know it can send without transcoding? I do like the way UMS handles the iphoto and itunes (audio anyway...) libraries.
Fairway

Post by Fairway »

Am running W7 Ultimate x64.

Just tried this with UMS 5.0.0 and VLC 2.1.5 on the same PC, but VLC crashed every time I tried.
In VLC didnt get to see any PnP on my home network, nor on my own PC.
My purpose was to try out UMS with a media client on the same PC as UMS.
Should be simple.
Also tried it with WMP, but at no avail.
What would be the best (free) client to give a try for this situation?
JSLavigne

Post by JSLavigne »

Just tried this with UMS 5.0.0 and VLC 2.1.5 on the same PC, but VLC crashed every time I tried.
VLC 2.1.x versions crashes every time it try to discover UPnP but since 2.2.0 the problem was fixed as there was no problem with 2.0.x versions

But if I'm able to see the folders and the files on the server, I'm still unable to play any video at all. It's like if it try to open every files at once and then nothing happen.