Recommended Bluray player renderer

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
danielt

Recommended Bluray player renderer

Post by danielt »

UMS crowd,
I'm building a new theater room and looking for a bluray player that works best with UMS. I'm currently streaming to a PS3, XBox360, and a WDTV+. Originally, I was just going to pick up a PS3/PS4 to put in the room and use for both Bluray and streaming. If I can get a good Bluray player that has the same functionality/support as the PS3 does with UMS for half the cost of the PS3, I'll take it. I've looked at the different conf files, but really can't tell how well they work.
I've got a mix of bluray and DVD based material converted to m4v via Handbrake.
Let me know what works well.

Regards,
Daniel
DeFlanko

Re: Recommended Bluray player renderer

Post by DeFlanko »

Any Sony Blu-Ray player should be fine... But for a 3D blu-ray player your goign to pay just as much as a PS3... id wait till the PS4 comes out so the Price on PS3's goes down...

then BOOM... inexpensive 3D Blu-ray player, and you can still play games.
Todd.Minear

Post by Todd.Minear »

Hello,

First - Thanks Devs for providing UMS!

I wanted to post on this thread, as I think my question is in line with the topic.

I'm running from a PS3 right now and I find it frustratingly loud. In my case I'm not interested in either 3D nor gaming, so if I replace the PS3 does anyone have any suggestions on a quite Blu-ray player? (one that doesn't sacrifice performance)

Best Regards,
Todd
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Todd, like i said before any of the Sony Blu-ray players should be recognized and fine.
danielt

Post by danielt »

I ended up grabbing a black friday PS3. Interesting comment on noise, here are my observations:
I have an old style and now one of the new style 'slim' models.
On the old style, the baseline fan noise is slightly louder than the new one. When playing intense games, the new one will get louder than the old one when fan is at full speed. I'm guessing the smaller case uses a smaller fan, with higher speed.
When playing blu-ray's, neither has the cooling fan spin up and both remain quiet.
When streaming 1080p/H264 video, the older one will get pretty warm and spin up the fan into high speed. I have not seen that happen on the slim line yet.*

* I have very limited hrs on new one for streaming, and also it is in a better ventilated cabinet than where the old one is installed.
danielt

Post by danielt »

One other note:
In reviewing different .conf renderer files, it looks like the newer Sony Bluray players have better DTS/DTS-MA support than the PS3 does.
To my knowledge, you can still only stream the DTS core to the PS3 wrapped in PCM 2 channel format. It ignores the extended/lossless part of the data stream.
My WDTV Plus box is the only renderer I have that can take the full DTS-MA audio streaming. Sadly, it is no longer available from WD and is kind of a finicky/buggy product.