2013 Google Nexus 7 support?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Tyestor

2013 Google Nexus 7 support?

Post by Tyestor »

Hi. Simple enough question. I just bought a 2013 Google Nexus 7 and I was wondering if UMS supported it. I've only ever used UMS for my PS3. I've never had a tablet before so there will probably have to be some app that I'll need to download. Thanks.
DeFlanko

Re: 2013 Google Nexus 7 support?

Post by DeFlanko »

Download Skifta -- and try with your native video player on it...

you may have to build a custom conf for it.

Its what i use when trying to build new CONF's for HTC or Samsung Galaxy devices (basically any new Android Device)
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

DeFlanko wrote:Download Skifta -- and try with your native video player on it...

Its what i use when trying to build new CONF's for HTC or Samsung Galaxy devices (basically any new Android Device)
Thanks. To clarify, I haven't got it yet. I ordered it today from amazon so it should be here within the next two weeks so I can play around with it then.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Tyestor wrote:
DeFlanko wrote:Download Skifta -- and try with your native video player on it...

Thanks. To clarify, I haven't got it yet. I ordered it today from amazon so it should be here within the next two weeks so I can play around with it then.
Cool, take a look at a few of the CONF's i made -- should be a good starting point if anything.
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

Hey, man, sorry for bumping this thread. It's pretty old now. But, I got my Nexus 7 on the 17th and I decided I would wait until the 25th before using (Christmas spirit and all). I downloaded Skifta and pretty much got it working all the way through to actually playing the file but it turns out I don't even have a media player on this thing :D - Do you have any recommended players? I usually use a beastly combination of MPC-HC, madVR, LAV-Filters, XySubFilter and ReClock with a massive amount of effort put into the settings so I'm used to really good video and sound. Naturally, I'm looking for a really feature packed player (although I doubt I'll ever get the same customisability as I can get with the aforementioned). Do you have any recommendations? I don't need any custom confs that I can see, UMS detected my N7 as "Android" just fine.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

yeah I noticed that android 4.3 dosent have a native video player anymore...

im still trying to research this - lol

cause not my samsung config us broken because of android 4.3

:(

Sent from my SGH-T999 Using ForumTouch for Android

Correction : i was trying to build a Chromecast conf -- that was conflicting...

But found somthgin new about Android 4.3 -- now the audio dosent want to play out; video shows with the samsungmobile.conf
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

I've pretty much got the best that I can, OS wise at the moment. Unlocked bootloader, TWRP recovery, rooted and Cyanogenmod 11 M Snapshot (it's only Android 4.4 though, not 4.4.2 yet). Very clean install. I've decided to dump Skifta and go with BubbleUpNp/DLNA as Skifta hasn't been updated in over a year whereas the latest update for the former was on the 24th of Dec 2013. BubbleUpNp is pretty much better in every, the only thing I don't like about it is that it is a little bloated for what I need. All I care about is the DLNA features, allowing me to browse my files/folders on my PC with a separate media player. That's it. If there was a lite version of this app with just that, this would be perfect (if you look at the screenshots on the app page above, I only use the devices tab once on first run after installing it. Every time I run it after that I use the library page. I never use the Now Playing or Playlist tabs, I have no need for them). Sadly, there isn't. This is the best app that I have found so far though, if you know of a better one let me know.

I've tried four media players so far. The main problem I have noticed is that the seek bars are usually massive (the biggest offender being mVideoPlayer). The list is as follows:

MX Player (Suck the least balls but has ads in the free version).
VLC for Android Beta (Sucks more balls than MX player but there's no ads and it's free).
BSPlayer Free (it kept crashing soooooo....).
mVideoPlayer (laggy as all hell and wouldn't show any of my subtitles).

It looks like if I want a decent experience I'm going to have to buy MX Player...sigh.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Well kifta is JUST DLNA - and only Certified DLNA app - So there was really no need to update it. (protip: with DLNA certifications, when you update your app, it you have to re-certify it... and that shit's expensive.)

As far as the player goes you can pick and choose which ever you want... i'm writing up the conf files to work with skifta and what ever the native player is with the Android OS -- by default android OS has a certain criteria to meet to make it so that video and audios can play -- consider it a baseline for Android.

Most of those 3rd party player have Codec's for H/W that you can download for whatever ARM v7 or v6 you have so that you can "just stream" it.

But as you get more and more custom apps for your needs you might start affecting other key renderers in your environment (similar User-Agents)... so take that into consideration when developing and testing-- for example the apps on Android to push to Chromecast device uses an android base User-Agent first...
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

I'm not going to have any local files, I'm trying to find the best combo that is specifically for media streaming over a network, transcoding wherever necessary. Most of my files are H264 video with ASS/SSA subtitles and AC3/FLAC audio in an MKV container. All the processing is being done on my PC. As for Skifta, I didn't really like the UI and I found it to be slower than BubbleUpNp/DLNA.