Roku support

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
penguin42

Re: Roku support

Post by penguin42 »

Hey all,

I was hacking at this problem (with a Roku Streaming Stick) and came up with a solution.

There are basically three parts

1) accept both user agents Roku/DVP-6 and Roku/DVP-7

2) force all streams to be transcoded to mpegts

3) use the mime type video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts instead of video/mpeg (or else the Roku won't show it)

And this worked for me! Attached is the conf file I was using. Good luck!
Attachments
Roku-Roku3-7.conf
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 2457 times
icenlord

Post by icenlord »

Hey guys, been using UMS for about 3 years now, pms before that, but Ive only ever used it on a ps3 and ps4.
My mom has a a tv with hdmi, and I wanted to buy her a roku 3, because I see that as the only supported roku, but I wasnt sure if its fully supported now. I see your instructions, but Im not sure how they worked out, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
binary512

Post by binary512 »

To Penguin42.
I am using the Roku 3 configuration file you uploaded. Thank you very much.
However, the Roku FF and Rewind buttons do not work with the videos. I have tried with .MP4 and .MKV with no luck.
Is there any way to get these buttons to work with the Roku 3?
Thank you again.
deerewright

Post by deerewright »

penguin42 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 pm Hey all,

I was hacking at this problem (with a Roku Streaming Stick) and came up with a solution.

There are basically three parts

1) accept both user agents Roku/DVP-6 and Roku/DVP-7

2) force all streams to be transcoded to mpegts

3) use the mime type video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts instead of video/mpeg (or else the Roku won't show it)

And this worked for me! Attached is the conf file I was using. Good luck!
This renderer is working okay for my Roku 3, and Roku premier+

Where does the renderers get the info for the image? I would like to change the image so when my premiere+ is detected it does not show a roku 3 but a 4 and/or premiere+ photo. Is that possible?
jellofan

Post by jellofan »

Hi all,
I picked up a Roku Streaming Stick + on Black Friday. I then upgraded my old PS3 Media Server to Universal Media Server, installed the Roku-Roku3-7.conf, and things are working OK with my SD content. But I also have some 720p HEVC content, and the transcoded video looks pretty bad. I'm curious if there is an updated config that correctly handles this media. Note that this Roku is supposed to be able to support 4K HEVC so I thought 720p HEVC would be a piece of cake.

In the logs I see both:

User-Agent: Roku/DVP-6.x
and
User-Agent: Roku/DVP-8.1 (508.01E04018A)
dluck

Post by dluck »

In order to get trickplay to work with transcoded videos on the Roku, it will need to be transcoded into HLS format. The Roku can't trickplay ts videos.

When I downloaded UMS 6.8.0 I only got two old Roku profiles. I didn't see the newer Roku profiles being shared here. When does the standard UMS distribution get updated profiles so they can be installed automatically?

I'm having some trouble getting mkv files to play without transcoding them. Is anyone able to get direct play to work?

Finally, if anyone wants to beta test an unreleased version of RMP (Roku Media Player) please join the roku forum and send a pm to me, rokudale.

thanks
dale
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

dluck wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:29 pm When does the standard UMS distribution get updated profiles so they can be installed automatically?
Just after some user will be willing to make the new conf because nobody of developers have this device.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

This is really weird since Roku reports support for streaming a lot of filetypes https://support.roku.com/article/208754 ... and-photos
Anyway I've added Roku-Roku3-7.conf into our next release which will probably be 7.0.1
mxytplk

Post by mxytplk »

This is not "really wierd," at least based on prior posts regarding Roku renderers on the UMS forum. That is, a number of users have reported problems with video playback using Roku's Media Player application (channel) using UMS, and continue to do so. One problem appears to be with native (untranscoded) video file playback, i.e., for files having formats that the Roku device supports.

The problem that I continue to encounter with UMS for Roku (Premier+) apparently is the same as that reported by various other users: perpetual display of "retrieving..." when attempting to play (untranscoded) video files. (Note, however, that audio files work fine, and that all files/folders show up fine in the Roku Media Player GUI.) I do not want transcoding, so it is disabled. I have tried the default renderer as well as various UMS renderers for Roku, all with the same result for (untranscoded) video files.

PLEASE NOTE THAT, WHEN USING SERVIIO AS THE DLNA SERVER, MY ROKU DEVICE WORKS AS EXPECTED FOR UNTRANSCODED VIDEO FILES:
That is, I am able to play the untranscoded video files using Serviio, using Serviio's default renderer file. It is evident that Serviio is not transcoding the files: the playback begins virtually immediately; the screen output appears identical; and both fast forward and rewind work as expected (whereas the Roku MP normally does not support FF and Rewind for transcoded files). This is all done using the Roku Media Player application (channel). So, the difference between UMS and Serviio appears to be that UMS reportedly has not done development/testing specifically for the Roku device(s), whereas Serviio evidently has done so. (I use the generic DLNA profile on Serviio for the Roku device. However, note that Serviio's underlying profile.xml file contains considerable Roku device support code, as noted below.)

The UMS forum posts on the Roku renderer file(s) seem to indicate that UMS transcoding is required to get a video file to play on the Roku Media Player, at least in some cases.

Evidently, Serviio obtained access to the Roku device(s) and developed Serviio code to support the Roku Media Player (among other renderer(s) on the various Roku devices). That is, Serviio plainly has devoted considerable work to make the Roku device(s) work for their native formats. Please refer to the Serviio "profiles.xml" file. There, some 400+ lines of profile code is present for the various Roku renderer devices/applications.

Of course, I would prefer that UMS work for all of my devices, rather than need to use Serviio for (untranscoded) playback of video files on Roku device(s). Hopefully, UMS may eventually borrow or otherwise gain access to Roku device(s) so as provide equivalent support.
mdmm55

Post by mdmm55 »

Roku Support Request.
Hi,
I have a little different topic with a new question and requesting for your help.
I got a new Roku Ultra and need help in updating..I want to see Indian Pakistani TV channels on my new Roku Ultra box.Kindly help me any hints,links.