Port for DLNA

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
mhimhdi

Port for DLNA

Post by mhimhdi »

Which port do I open to connect my Sony TV to my PC?
SpeedyQ

Re: Port for DLNA

Post by SpeedyQ »

I checked my own firewall setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port (also if you're using a different port number you have to use that value)
- port 2869 rule (TCP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
- port 1900 rule (UDP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
I have not included the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup.
louis

Post by louis »

Ports to open on your firewall seems like something that should be part of the FAQ or install readme not something someone needs to dig through the forums and internet to find. A shame it is not.

SpeedyQ -

I have found you've posted these port numbers more than once on this forum.
SpeedyQ wrote:I checked my own firewall setup
makes it sound like you've arrived at this configuration through trial and error. I have found a bit of a variety of answers to this question which is why I am interested in finding more information about this. Most suggestions I have found say to open port 5001 (TCP) and 1900 (UDP). It seems that Microsoft uses 2869 (TCP) for SSDP event notifications only with the legacy port for this service being 5000 (TCP). This leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Does UMS use UDP on port 5001? Is it necessary to open that protocol on that port?
2. Is it necessary to open port 2869 (TCP) on the server if the server is a non-Microsoft (Linux) machine, or does port 2869 (TCP) only need to be opened on Windows machines?

It would be great if someone familiar with the internal workings of UMS could post all the ports with protocols that any of UMS's features might ever need as well as which features go with which ports/protocols.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Hi Louis, I have indeed found these settings through trial and error. And I have no experience of using UMS on other platforms than Windows 7.
I agree with you that it would be nice to have information on this (also for other platforms) on the FAQ or Wiki page.
But I dounderstand that the information is not there because it's more in scope of the operation system itself, security features and firewall functionality.
UMS works perfectly if you don't use a firewall.
So for anybody struggling, you can take that as a starting point (while physically disconnected from the internet), see if you get UMS running and after that worry about firewalls and rules.
To come back at your questions:
1. I don't think UMS uses port 5001 UDP.
2. I think port 2869 TCP is only used for UPNP discovery services on Windows platform.

But it would be good if people :geek: on MAC, Linux or other platforms would share some info about this topic too.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

Which port may I need to open to get auto updates to work?
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

All,

This is why Mac users love using a Mac.
Using a Mac , you only have to open port 5001 as is written in the FAQ for TCP and UDP and your done.
No further actions are needed and you can enjoy your files :D
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

snakebyte wrote:All,

This is why Mac users love using a Mac.
Using a Mac , you only have to open port 5001 as is written in the FAQ for TCP and UDP and your done.
No further actions are needed and you can enjoy your files :D
Do your auto updates work?
If so, then I will open that port. ;)
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Ok Dypsis,

You've got me on that one.
No auto updates on Mac are possible ,at least up to this moment.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

snakebyte wrote:Ok Dypsis,

You've got me on that one.
No auto updates on Mac are possible ,at least up to this moment.
I didn't know that, snakebyte.

Thanks...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Update: auto update is supported on macOS now