Android config files for the BubbleUPnP Media Renderer

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
leroy

Android config files for the BubbleUPnP Media Renderer

Post by leroy »

Hi all,

Hereby two Android renderer config files that gives support to the default Android video player.
Maybe these config files can also be used on other android devices.

It requires the "BubbleUPnP (Chromecast/DLNA)" app installed on your Android device.

Be sure to set the "MaxVideoWidth = " and "MaxVideoHeight = " the same as your Android device screen resolution.

Both config files were tested with the current beta version of the UMS 5.0.0 branch.

Issues:
- Recognizing conflict with both the Google-Android.conf and Android/Chromecast.conf
You can resolve this by disabling these renderers in the GUI. (General Configuration tab > Enabled renderers)
- FFmpeg needs to be the primary (top) transcoder.
- Remuxing with tsMuxeR fails. (no sound)
- Seeking or fast forward is not possible while transcoding.

If you use both renderer config files, then enter more device specific search strings for next config settings:
UserAgentSearch =
UpnpDetailsSearch =

EDIT: updated config files
Android v4.0.4 Wolfgang AT-AS43D2 phone (800x480 display): Android v4.2.2 Wolfgang AT-AS50SE phone (1920x1080 display):
Last edited by leroy on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyestor

Re: Android config files for the BubbleUPnP Media Renderer

Post by Tyestor »

So do I need to do anything special to get the config to work on my Nexus 7 (flo) using MX Player instead of the default android player? Unfortunately your config isn't working. I should also mention I'm running Cyanogenmod 11 (4.4.4). I'm also on UMS 5.0.0-b1.
leroy

Post by leroy »

Hi Tyestor,

I just tried MX Player and it seem that

Code: Select all

ChunkedTransfer = true
is needed in the configuration file to make this work with the MX Player.

Also, be sure to disable the Android and Chromecast renderer in the GUI.
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

I added the ChunkedTransfer parameter and disabled the other android renderers and it's still not playing. I'm getting the same errors that I described in my other thread, specifically here: viewtopic.php?p=13409#p13409
Last edited by Tyestor on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroy

Post by leroy »

Profile for BubbleUPnP Media Renderer which usses the MXPlayer.

Tested with an Android v4.2.2 phone Wolfgang AT-AS50SE (1920x1080 display)
Tested with the 5.0.0b1 version of the UMS.

This config requires the "BubbleUPnP (Chromecast/DLNA)" app installed on your Android device.
Tested with the video player MXPlayer: go to Settings»Decoder»Download to instal custom codec

Issues:
- Be sure to set the 'MaxVideoWidth = 'and 'MaxVideoHeight = ' in this config file according your Android device screen resolution.
- Recognizing conflict with both the Google-Android.conf and Android/Chromecast.conf
You can resolve this by disabling these renderers in the GUI. (General Configuration tab >> Enabled renderers)
- FFmpeg needs to be the primary (top) transcoder.
- Remuxing with tsMuxeR fails. (no sound)
- Seeking or fast forward is not possible while transcoding.
- Best performance with transcoded by UMS video, with the standard android player instead of MX Player..
(somehow transocding stops after some minutes)
leroy

Post by leroy »

@Tyestor, any success with this config file?
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

Give me a minute and I'll test it and let you know!

EDIT: IT WOOOOOOOORKS! YESSSSSSSS! I should mention now that during testing with the new config that enabling "Encoded Audio passthrough for AC-3 and DTS" will give the same error as before (this isn't what was giving the error last time, I had it disabled). Do you know why this is? Also, do you know what the problem with your original config/the google-android config is?

Thanks dude!

EDIT 2: I'm not sure what's causing it but even though this config works, checking the "disable subtitles" box in UMS still won't actually disable subtitles when streaming to MX Pllayer but it will to XBMC.
leroy

Post by leroy »

Hi Tyestor,

I added support for MKV files and alot of other ones to the "Supported = " lines.
That is why the new MX Player config file now works compatible with MX Player.

Here some more info about the differences between the config files:

The first config files posted in this thread were written for support for the pre installed android video player.
This player only plays the by Android natively supported media formats correctly.
The supported media files will be streamed and the others will be transcoded by UMS to a supported format, and all necessary transcoding (CPU usage) is done by the server UMS.
The prefered subtitle and audio tracks settings must be set in the UMS.
Unfortunately seeking is not possible while transcoding.

The MX Player config file is the first one but updated for support for the additional formats/codecs that the MX Player can handle.
The MX Player custom codec needs to be installed for AC3 and DTS support.
Transcoding of not by android supported media formats/codecs will be done by MX Player which uses the CPU/GPU of the Android device.
Unfortunately the Android device CPU will be used intensive (wich consumes a lot of battery power),
and I guess not all phones have the hardware on board to successfully transcode high quality media files.
However the benefits are great because the MX Player can handle almost all formats and subtitles nicely and also seeking works.
The prefered subtitle and audio tracks settings must be set in the MX Player.
You can still use the "TRANSCODE" folder to select an UMS transcode engine with your preferred audio/subtitle track, so transcoding is done by the UMS,
however seeking is not possible while transcoding, and somehow transcoding can stop after some minutes. It seems that raising the buffer size can partially resolve this.
The pre installed android video player does not seem to have this issue, so use that player if you select a transcode engine through the "TRANSCODE" folder.

Sure that the config files can be improved even more.
leroy

Post by leroy »

I have made some nice progress with the BubbleUPnP/MX Player config file.
Much more formats/codec are now supported and work correctly.

The video transcoding by UMS to the MX Player issue however still remain.
Somehow the playback stops after some time.
It seems that the transcoding stops after the maximum buffer is reached.
This is not a real big issue, since the MX Player can handle almost every format/codec.
I tried a lot of different renderer config settings but couldn't solve this.

DVD/ISO and VIDEO_TS folder transcoding however works fine with the now used MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3 transcode profile.
Google-Android-BubbleUPnP-MXPlayer v1.1.zip
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
leroy

Post by leroy »

Some more improvements to the BubbleUPnP/MX Player config file.
Google-Android-BubbleUPnP-MXPlayer v1.2.zip
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 1084 times