Sony Bravia EX devices broken again

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Paradox

Sony Bravia EX devices broken again

Post by Paradox »

Just a heads up to Sony Bravia users.

Both versions 5.20 and 5.21 are broken when using ffmpeg. Files are transcoded to what looks like a form of MPEG-TS rather than MPEG-PS. The bravia identifies files as AVC when using FFMpeg rather than MPEG (which it shoud do if it were transcoding to MPEG-PS as per BraviaEX.conf file).

Basic playback for most files like this is ok, BUT any fastforwarding/rewinding etc results in the files sound going out of sync.

If you add (which you should not have to as it should be the default)

Code: Select all

TranscodeVideo = MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3
to the BraviaEX.conf file this then breaks FFmpeg transcoding entirely resulting in in it being unable to play any files.

I suspect this is based on the TSMuxer using FFmpeg in these 2 new versions and something being missed in code changes to make it obey transcodevideo options.

Logs show nothing amiss yet clearly there is. Returning to version 5.14 or 5.12 the issue goes away entirely with TSmuxer showin files as AVC (a form of TS) and FFmpeg and Mencoder transcoding PROPERLY to MPEG.

Please to any devs reading when you have time look into this

Thanks
ExSport

Re: Sony Bravia EX devices broken again

Post by ExSport »

Without logs from working and non-working version hardly...
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

ExSport wrote:Without logs from working and non-working version hardly...
Logs show nothing what i can see because files will playback on both 5.2x versions and 5.14 which i have now reverted to. Its just that 5.2 and 5.21 with FFMPEG transcodes to MPEG-TS which is the problem.

5.20 and 5.21 is now TRANSCODING to MPEG-TS when you use FFmpeg, when you do this on a BraviaEX and you skip forward or back in a file or fastforward/rewind then audio sync issues occur.

What is happening in the latest 5.2x versions can be replicated on earlier versions by altering the braviaex.conf file and inserting

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3
FFmpeg on 5.20 and 5.21 is now transcoding to MPEG-TS. It is something to do with the new TSMuxer integration. It is also why in this post...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3641&start=10#p17255
on the ps4 that user no longer has to make sure the ""remux videos with tsMuxeR when possible instead of transcoding" box is ticked because FFMpeg is now transcoding everything to MPEG-TS all by itself. Prior to version 5.2x and higher FFMPEG would transcode to MPEG2, now it transcodes to MPEG-TS and as far as i can see its doing this on all devices.

I would help more with logs etc, but can not in this instance as this morning ive been informed with 5.20 installed another users mediaplayer box in the house does not support .TS or MPEG.TS files at all and thus they can play nothing. For some reason has it never played back from Mencoder either. Until this morning i thought i and my bravia and their device both relied on mencoder for transcoding it appears they have always relied on FFMpeg though which obviously on there generic chinese box no longer works with 5.2+ as it now wants to transcode to .TS format.

Ive therefore had to go back to 5.14 as i spend most of the day at work and i can not leave the home and others in it with no media playback.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

I asked for logs with some info what has done on renderer to find it in logs and compare the difference.
In logs there is exact info if file is remuxed, streamed as is or transcoded with used mime and extension.
Difference between old and new UMS version about tsMmuxeR is that older version used MEncoder but new version is using FFmpeg for extracting raw video stream and tsMuxeR is muxing it.
At all cases REMUXed output file should be MPEG-TS which is dependent on tsMuxeR tool, not the extractor (MEncoder or FFmpeg).
When TRANSCODING, both MEnocder and FFmpeg should respect "TranscodeVideo = ":

#    Profile            Video           Audio   Container   Notes
#    ------------------------------------------------------------
#    MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3   MPEG-2          AC-3    MPEG-PS     VLC only outputs 2-channel AC-3 audio
#    MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3   MPEG-2          AC-3    MPEG-TS     VLC only outputs 2-channel AC-3 audio
#    MPEGTS-H264-AC3    H.264 (AVC)     AC-3    MPEG-TS     VLC only outputs 2-channel AC-3 audio
#    MPEGTS-H264-AAC    H.264 (AVC)     AAC     MPEG-TS
#    MPEGTS-H265-AC3    H.265 (HEVC)    AC-3    MPEG-TS     Only FFmpeg outputs H.265, others will output H.264
#    MPEGTS-H265-AAC    H.265 (HEVC)    AAC     MPEG-TS     Only FFmpeg outputs H.265, others will output H.264
#    WMV:               WMV 2 (WMV 8)   WMA 2   ASF
If not, there is a bug so we need to see what parameters were used with FFmpeg encoder.
From what I can expect, BraviaEx.conf file doesn't have "TranscodeVideo =" defined so default "MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3" should be used (for any engine like VLC, MEncoder, FFmpeg,...except tsMuxeR).
If it is true we need to see debug package in TRACE mode to see where is the problem, if mime type used, newly added extension to URL, FFmpeg params itself etc.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

@ExSport For the BraviaEX.conf everything should be transcoded to "MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3" (which is a standard MPEG2 stream with AC3 capable sound) it no longer does that.

If you use FFmpeg on ANY device from what i can see a TS file is now created NOT an "MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3" based stream which is the default option and what many renderers use, though obviosuly some devices may still create the right MPEG2 based stream, i can only go from my limited testing.

The only time a AVC file which is a TS based format should be created is when using the "MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3" option in the BraviaEX.conf file or if you are playing back with any "No Encoding" option or you use TSMuxer.

Ill try to reinstall it and do logs over the weekend if possible, but there should be no need as it is also happening on SOME other non bravia devices (shocked nobody else has noticed).

@Valib that file gets blocked by my ESet Smart security, tried it twice, dunno why....
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Some renderers are using h264 instead of mpeg2 or that other renderers are not so strict so it can be the reason why others didn't spotted it.
I don't have latest version installed and I don't have access to any TV renderer right now so asked for logs to see the behavior. As I am writing from mobile I can help via reading logs but not via testing it by own when I don't have testing notebook in hands ;)
BTW. when Valib posted some new build I suppose he found some glitch in code :D I should check github what's new...
Edit: He implemented correct extension to mpeg-ps files as I mentioned in previous reply as one possible problem and a major difference between your versions mentioned :-)
Thanks Valib
Edit2: about your virus info. Check http://www.virustotal.com as it should be false positive detection by your antivirus sw. Move it to ignored/remove from quarantine or how to avoid blocking this file.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

valib wrote:Paradox can you try this update http://universalmediaserver-ci.hopto.or ... APSHOT.exe ?
ExSport wrote:Some renderers are using h264 instead of mpeg2 or that other renderers are not so strict so it can be the reason why others didn't spotted it.
I don't have latest version installed and I don't have access to any TV renderer right now so asked for logs to see the behavior. As I am writing from mobile I can help via reading logs but not via testing it by own when I don't have testing notebook in hands ;)
BTW. when Valib posted some new build I suppose he found some glitch in code :D I should check github what's new...
Edit: He implemented correct extension to mpeg-ps files as I mentioned in previous reply as one possible problem and a major difference between your versions mentioned :-)
Thanks Valib
Edit2: about your virus info. Check http://www.virustotal.com as it should be false positive detection by your antivirus sw. Move it to ignored/remove from quarantine or how to avoid blocking this file.
Ok have just very quickly tried the 5.2.2-SNAPSHOT version valib provided (as quoted i trusted you guys it wasnt a virus :D) and that version does indeed with short but initial testing seem to solve the issue on the Bravia. Now both FFmpeg and Mecoder transcode files correctly to MPEG2-PS files with only TSMuxer or NoEncoding options for MPEG4 and some MKV files now displaying and playing CORRECTLY as AVC (TS based files).

log file attached of the "MP4-H264-AC3-2ch.mp4" file from the "UMS Video Testing Suite" of files playing back using FFMpeg, Mencoder and TSmuxer options, all playing correct on Bravia and all transcoding correctly......

LOG
5.22_ums_dbg.zip
5.2.2-SNAPSHOT BRAVIA LOG FILE
(27.66 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
Suggest this is implemented for the next 5.2.2 actual release :) Good spot by Valib in finding the issue in the new code, excellent work as always.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Thanks Paradox but the bug I made myself. I didn't assume that some renderers not have to know the .vob extension (which is also the MPEG-PS format and in reality is used for transcoding to MPEG-PS) and know only the general .mpg extension.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

valib wrote:Thanks Paradox but the bug I made myself. I didn't assume that some renderers not have to know the .vob extension (which is also the MPEG-PS format and in reality is used for transcoding to MPEG-PS) and know only the general .mpg extension.
Hehe, well at least i know i was not going insane and it was indeed a change that screwed things up :D Will now look forward to the official 5.2.2 release with things corrected. Thanks for looking into the issue and correcting it.